The J. E. Hawley Company, who are retail distributors of anthracite and bituminous coal, with offices at 69
East Bridge Street, are recognized as the leading coal dealers in Oswego County. The business, established in 1924,
became affiliated with the Niagara-Hudson System in April, 1931, and they are exclusive distributors of Niagara-Hudson
coke in this territory, having assumed the business formerly conducted by the Peoples Gas & Electric Company.
At the date of the organization of this company Mr. Hawley realized that all business, in order to be successful,
should be founded on an ideal. His ideal was to deliver to the public the best fuel which money could buy, and
to follow this purchasing program with a personnel that would be efficient. The success of Mr. Hawley's plan has
been evident from the beginning.
With offices on East Bridge Street, the company maintain a storage plant at the new harbor front. It is the largest
coal storage system in the city.
J. E. Hawley was born in Oswego, the son of Charles E. and Jane (McCauley) Hawley. The former was born in Canada
and came to Oswego at the age of 21 years. Throughout his business career he has been interested in the coal and
shipping business and has offices in Oswego. His wife was born at Cape Vincent, N. Y.
In 1918 Mr. Hawley married Miss Zeta Babcock of Fulton, N. Y., the daughter of Edwin P. and Helen (Craver) Babcock.
Mr. Babcock was born at Fulton and died in 1923. His widow, who resides at Oswego, is a native of Warners, N. Y.
Mr. and Mrs. Hawley have no children.
Mr. Hawley has an attractive country home on the East River Road, where he owns eleven acres. The estate is well
landscaped and is one of the beauty spots of Oswego County.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium