Gage, William G., who was for many years known as one of Fulton's successful business men, was born in Madison
county, February 17, 1823. His father died when William was an infant and the latter was brought up among relatives
until he was fourteen years old. He learned the tanner's trade, but never followed it. After a while he came to
South Hannibal and engaged in farming and later in the mercantile business in Hannibal. In 1849 he came to Fulton
and was clerk for Palmer Kenyon, later with R. T. Jones, and finally formed a partnership with C. B. Hancock under
the firm name of Gage & Hancock. Later becoming sole proprietor, he continued until the close of the war. He
engaged in flour milling in 1868 with Isaac A, Graves, but soon succeeded to the entire business and later associated
with D. M. Perrine, whom afterward he also bought out. His next partner was E. J. Carrington. The firm of W. G.
Gage & Co. which is still recognized as one of the first in importance on the river, was formed in 1874 and
comprised William G. Gage, Orin Henderson and Frederick A. Gage. William died July 5, 1892. Mr. Gage was a man
of firmness and integrity and especially kind and liberal toward all poor and suffering humanity. He married in
1846 Julia A. Smith of Cambridge, N. Y., and their children were Florence M., who married Adolphus Bennett and
died in 1879, leaving two children (William G. and Bert W.), and Frederick A. Gage, who married Helen Tucker June
19, 1872, and has one daughter, Dorothy.
Landmarks of Oswego County
Edited by: John C. Churchill, LL.D.
Assisted by: H, Perry Smith and W. Stanley Child
Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1895
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium