Biography of Edwin W. Fulton
Oswego County, NY Biographies





Edwin W. Fulton. - As president and general manager of the International Nutyp Tool Corporation, of Oswego, Mr. Fulton is numbered among the representative and highly successful business men of the North Country, and is a member of one of the prominent pioneer families of New York. He was born at Carthage, N. Y., Oct. 20, 1872, the son of John C. and Mary Louise (Woodward) Fulton.

John C. Fulton was born at Wilna, N. Y., Aug. 14, 1844, and died at Carthage, Sept. 8, 1889. He began to teach school when 16 years of age. He later attended Lowville Academy and began to study law in the office of Starbuck & Sawyer, of Watertown. Mr. Fulton was admitted to the bar and began his professional career at Philadelphia, N. Y., but after a year removed to Carthage, where he became associated with Allen E. Kilby, under the firm name of Fulton & Kilby. In the years that followed Mr. Fulton became one of the most prominent attorneys in the North Country and established an excellent reputation. His widow resides in Oil City, Pa. Their children were: 1. Carrie E., born Dec. 2, 1870, resides at Harrison, N. Y. 2. Edwin W., the subject of this sketch. 3. Mabel A., born Sept. 29, 1874, wife of C. W. Gleason, Oil City, Pa. 4. Beth W., born Oct. 23, 1880, died Aug. 14, 1889. 5. Herbert F., born Dec. 6, 1883, died Aug. 12, 1889.

Edwin W. Fulton attended the Carthage public schools, and as a young man learned the trade of machinist with Ryther & Pringle. He was connected with their foundries for a period of seven years and in 1896 entered the employ of Bagley & Sewall, manufacturers of paper machinery, at Watertown. In June, 1905, Mr. Fulton went to Lowville, N. Y., and organized. the Fulton Machine & Vise Company, buying out the interests of Lafayette Wetmore. The entire plant was destroyed by fire in May, 1907, with a loss of $22,000, but was soon rebuilt, business being resumed in October of the same year. At that time the capital was increased from $30,000 to $50,000, and Mr. Fulton continued there until 1924, at which time he disposed of the business and came to Oswego with the Oswego Tool Company as manager. In August, 1930, a new corporation was formed and known as the International Nutyp Tool Corporation, with Mr. Fulton as president and general manager.

Mr. Fulton was married on June 30, 1896, to Miss Myrtle L. Strickland, the daughter of George and Ada (Massey) Strickland, of Philadelphia, N. Y. To Mr. and Mrs. Fulton were born three children: 1. Ruth, who married Henry W. Green, of Carthage. She died in February, 1929, leaving two children, Richard and Helen. They live at Natural Bridge, Jefferson County. 2. George Lucas, lives at Oswego, where he is associated in business with his father. He married Miss Helen Burdick, of Lowville, and they have three daughters: Mary Louise, Anne, and Beverly. 3. Dorothy E., a teacher in the Rochester schools. He is a World War veteran and is affiliated with the Masonic Lodge.

Politically, Mr. Fulton is a Republican. During the Roosevelt regime he was county chairman of the Progressive party in Lewis County. He is affiliated with the Kiwanis Club, and is an active member of the Baptist Church. The family residence is located at 122 East 4th Street.

The Fulton family claims relationship to Robert Fulton, the steamboat inventor. James Fulton, grandfather of Edwin W. Fulton, was the son of Caleb Fulton, who was born April 17, 1816. He died June 21, 1868. He was married in November, 1843, to Caroline Nichols, and lived at Wilna, N. Y. Their children were: John C., father of the subject of this sketch. 2. Francis, born Feb. 1, 1846, died Dec. 13, 1886. He had a daughter, Lucy. 3. Simeon, born June 6, 1848, died Sept. 23, 1864, unmarried. 4. Mary born March 8, 1851, married a Mr. Wilkinson, and their children were: Claude, Frank, Larissa and Eva Wilkinson. 5. Larissa, born Feb. 15, 1853, died June 9, 1871, unmarried

Caleb Fulton, great grandfather of Edwin W. Fulton, was born May 11, 1777. He went from Colerain, Mass., to Wilna, Jefferson County, in 1810. There he took up 50 acres of land and built a log house on Road No. 62. He was a soldier during the War of 1812. He married Polly Barnes, and their children were: Simeon, James, Elisha, Fanny, Mary, Sally, Lydia, Philura, and William.

From:

The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Oswego County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012