The Francis Perot's Sons Malting Co. - Anthony Morris, who came to this country from England in 1682, with Penn,
on the good ship "Welcome," was one of the most distinguished of Philadelphia's pioneer citizens. He
was the second mayor of the city, and afterwards supreme judge of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In 1687 he
established on Front street, below Walnut street, a brewhouse, and that business, continuing from father to son
to the seventh and eighth generation, is still in existence, under the style of the Francis Perot's Sons Malting
Company, being the oldest business house in America. Anthony Morris the first died in 1721. His son Anthony succeeded,
followed in turn by his son, also Anthony. The latter's son, Thomas, was next in succession; and then in the fifth
generation, his sons, Thomas and Joseph Morris, acquired the business. To this firm Francis Perot was apprenticed
in 1812, and having served his time, the latter in 1818 started a brewery and malthouse on Vine street, between
Third and Fourth streets. In 1823 he married Elizabeth M. Morris, daughter of Thomas Morris, his former employer.
The old Morris business continued, Thomas Morris becoming sole proprietor upon the death of his brother Joseph.
In the sixth generation, the business was acquired by Anthony Saunders Morris, but after conducting the business
for some years heretired, turning it over to his brother in law, Francis Perot. In partnership with the latter
was his brother, William S Perot, the firm name being Francis & William S. Perot. They continued in both the
brewing and malting business until 1850, when they discontinued brewing and turned their attention exclusively
to malting. In 1868 they retired, having been in business together for fifty years. They belonged to the fifth
generation of their name in this country. A Huguenot ancestor, James Perot, having been driven from France by religious
persecution, landed in America in 1686. The firm, in 1868, became Francis Perot's Sons, and in 1887 the present
company was incorporated; its officers being T. Morris Perot, president; Edward H. Ogden, vice president; Elliston
Perot, secretary; and Theodore F Miller, treasurer. Mr. T. Morris Perot, the president, is a son of the late Francis
Perot, who died in 1885, and represents the seventh generation in direct descent from Anthony Morris, who founded
the business 207 years ago; and Mr. Elliston Perot and Mr. T. Morris Perot, Br., represent the eighth generation.
The offices of the company are at 314 Vine street, the malthouse premises fronting on 310 to 320 Vine street, and
covering nearly a square with other frontage on New street. The equipment is complete for the production of malt
by the old system, and the product of this plant is in the highest repute, and commands a large sale to brewers
and others in Philadelphia and the surrounding country. The company also has a large and complete plant at Oswego,
N. Y., conducted upon the new pneumatic system of malting, from which shipments are made throughout the country.
The house holds a high position in the trade, not only as it ranks as one of the largest producers, but also by
reason of the high principles of commercial probity that have characterized the house during its more than two
centuries of activity. Its present management is in hands that are worthy of the past prestige and present prominence
of the house. Mr. T. Morris Perot, the president of the company, has long been known as one of Philadelphia's most
distinguished and public spirited citizens, is first vice president of the Board of Trade, president of the Mercantile
Library Company, for over thirty years president of the Women's Medical College, and a director of the United Security
Life Insurance and Trust Company. He is also president of the People's Gas Light Company of Jersey City, N. J.
Edward H. Ogden, the vice president of the company, is also vice president of the Consolidation National Bank.
The company has membership in the Board of Trade, the Commercial Exchange, the Trades League and the Bourse, and
is influentially identified with the commercial interests of the city of which it is in years the oldest, and in
importance, one of the leading representatives. - Phildelphia North American.
Landmarks of Oswego County
Edited by: John C. Churchill, LL.D.
Assisted by: H, Perry Smith and W. Stanley Child
Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1895
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium