Dickinson, Ezra, was the youngest in a family of seven children consisting of five sons and two daughters. He
was born in the town of Constantia, Oswego county. on the 26th of April, 1827. Of this happy family only one is
deceased, the youngest daughter. Jacob Dickinson, the father of Ezra, in the year 1826 moved from Greene county
to the town of Constantia, locating on what was called the Vandecamp farm, situated one mile from the village of
Cleveland on the Lake Shore road. He remained upon this farm until his death, after which his two sons, Samuel
F. and Charles, took the old homestead, and at the present time (1894) are located upon it. Ezra Dickinson was
united in marriage to Margaret A., daughter of Nathan and Elizabeth Hemenway of Marcy, Oneida county, December
31, 1852. In the spring of 1853 he formed a partnership with his brother Jacob in the lumber business at Shacksbush,
one mile north of Bernhard's Bay. This business they carried on very successfully for three years, when the former
retired and located at Bernhard's Bay, where he engaged very extensively in the building of canals for nineteen
years, when he retired and now lives on a small place of twenty two acres, situated on the shore of Oneida Lake.
For eleven years he held the office of railroad commissioner of the town of Constantia with great credit and honor
to the people of the town. To Mr. and Mrs. Ezra Dickinson were born four children, viz.: Charles A., Nathan H.,
May Elizabeth, and Ezra Earl. Of these only the latter two are living, the former two being taken away at the age
of twenty two months and eight years of age. May Elizabeth, their only daughter, was born August 18, 1867. At the
age of fifteen she entered Houghton Seminary at Clinton, Oneida county, remaining for three years, when she left
and went to the Oswego Normal School for two years, after which she taught one term of school. In 1889 she was
married to B. B. Sheldon of Oswego, who is a groceryman. Ezra Earl, their youngest and only son, was born in 1872.
In 1889 he entered Clinton Grammar School where he remained one year, after which he attended Oswego High School
for three years. To complete his education he entered Lavere's Commercial College at Oswego, where he took a course
in stenography and business forms. At present (1894) he is a stenographer.
Landmarks of Oswego County
Edited by: John C. Churchill, LL.D.
Assisted by: H, Perry Smith and W. Stanley Child
Syracuse, N. Y.
D. Mason & Co., Publishers 1895
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium