Hon. Don A. Colony. - One of the most influential figures in professional circles in Northern New York is Judge
Colony, who as county judge in Oswego County, holds leading rank as a lawyer. He was born at Sandy Creek, N. Y.,
Oct. 7, 1874, the son of Charles W. and Emma J. (Tallman) Colony.
Charles W. Colony, who died in 1919, was a native of New York, born at Locke. His wife was a native of LaFargeville,
and died in 1913. He was a graduate of Adams Academy and Eastman Business College. As a young man he became identified
with the Campbell Dry Goods Stores in Watertown, and later was appointed branch manager at Sandy Creek. He afterward
bought this store, which he successfully operated for a time, and he then conducted a plumbing and hardware business
until his retirement. Mr. Colony was a Republican, a member of the Congregational Church, and belonged to the Masonic
Lodge. He served as overseer of the poor, school director, and for many years was active in the Oswego County Fair
Association. To Mr. and Mrs. Colony were born four children: Florence Irene, who died in infancy. 2. Don A., the
subject of this sketch. 3. Blanche Quencer, who died in Florida, January 11, 1931. 4. Agnes C. Lewis, who lives
at Central Square, N. Y.
Don A. Colony attended the public schools of Sandy Creek, from which he was graduated in 1894. Before taking up
the study of law he taught school for five terms, and then entered the offices of H. L. Wallace, being admitted
to the New York bar on March 1, 1899. He immediately opened his own offices in Lacona, where he has since maintained
them. Judge Colony has held numerous public offices, having served as village clerk for a number of years, and
as town clerk of Sandy Creek. He held the office of assistant district attorney of Oswego County for 15 years,
then became district attorney, and after seven years in the latter office he resigned in 1928 to accept the nomination
and election to the office of county judge, which office he has most ably and efficiently filled. He also presides
over the juvenile courts of Oswego County.
In 1912 Judge Colony became interested in the organization of the Sandy Creek Oil & Gas Company, Ltd., and
became sole owner of the enterprise in 1921. He holds the offices of secretary and treasurer, and his wife, Lillian
E. Colony, is president. The company owns and operated 40 large gas wells, which supply natural gas to about 500
families in the vicinity of Sandy Creek and Lacona. Offices are maintained at Lacona.
In 1904 Mr. Colony was united in marriage with Miss Lillian E. Truex, of Altmar, the daughter of Peter W. and Ellen
(Smith) Truex. Mr. Truex is 80 years of age and resides at Aitmar. His wife died in 1894. Judge and Mrs. Colony
had a daughter, Irene Bethyl, who was born July 9, 1908. During her senior year at Syracuse University she met
with an accidental death, Oct. 20, 1928, while driving home from the University.
Judge Colony is a member of the Congregational Church, of which he is a trustee, and he is affiliated with the
Masonic Lodge, Pulaski Chapter, Watertown Commandery and Media Temple; Elks Lodge, and Rainbow Shore Country Club.
He is a director of the Oswego County Trust Company, and has always taken a keen interest in the business, social,
and fraternal life of the community in which he has spent his entire life. The family residence is located between
Sandy Creek and Lacona and Mr. Colony also has a summer home on Ontario Bay.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Oswego County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium