Mustill, James John, was born in London, Eng., July 5, 1830, and was the third of ten children born to James
and Sarah (Ashbury) Mustill. The father was a frescoer by trade, and came to the United States in 1833, locating
at Lockport, where he lived until 1852, then came to Murray and settled on a farm, where he lived until his death,
May 24, 1857. His wife died in 1890. Young James was put out to learn the harness making trade at the age of fourteen.
After thoroughly learning the trade, Mr. Mustill worked as foreman for several years, and then went into business
at Loekport. In 1852 he came to Albion and worked with G. W. Hotchkiss, and later associated with Mr. Merrifield,
the firm being Mustill & Merrifield. Mr. Mustill then succeeded to the firm, and ever since has been regarded
as one of the substantial business men of the county Seat, and is now the oldest active business man of the town.
Mr. Mustill is a prominent Mason, having become a craftsman September 1, 1851. in Lockport Lodge, and is now a
member of the Renovation Lodge No. 97, of Albion, having taken the thirty second degree in the Rochester consistory,
and is also member of Monroe Commandery No. 12. In 1849 he married Ruth Few, daughter of James Few, of Lockport.
They have had six children, only one of which, Alice A., widow of James Wilson, is now living. Mr. Mustill is a
Republican, but takes no active part in politics.
Landmarks of Orleans County, New York
Edited by: Hon. Isaac C. Signor
Assisted by: H. P. Smith and others
D. Mason & Co., Publishers
Syracuse, N. Y. 1894
Orleans County, NY
Names A to B
Names C to F
Names G to H
Names H to M
Names N to R
Names T to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium