JOHN H. QUAID, who conducts a wholesale and retail grocery store in Water street, Newburgh, succeeded to the
business that was established in 1834 by his father, John Quaid, a native of Limerick County, Ireland, who came
to Newburgh when a young man and began business in Oldtown at the junction of what is now Liberty street and Gidney
avenue, where he remained until 1850, when he removed to the present location, 136 Water street. In 1857 his eldest
son, William, became a partner and the firm was changed to John Quaid & Son. In 1871 John H. purchased his
father's interest and the firm of William Quaid & Brother was formed, continuing until 1881, when William retired
and John H. has since continued the business. Mr. Quaid has acquired much valuable real estate in Newburgh.
The parents of their mother, whose maiden name was McGathern, settled on a farm in the town of Blooming Grove in
1807. It is said of their grandmother that she was awarded the first premium for butter making for many years by
the Agricultural Society.
Mr. John H. Quaid married Margaret Lord Fancher, daughter of Lewis Fancher, of Cornwall. She was a Daughter of
the Revolution and at the time of her death in 1896 was president of St. Luke's Hospital, of which her husband
was a trustee. Mr. Quaid is a member of the City Club, Newburgh Historical Society, and with his brother, William,
a vestryman of St. Paul's Church.
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium