ROBERT WORKMAN McCREADY, a prominent contractor at Tuxedo Park, is a resident of Sloatsburg, Rockland County.
Mr. McCready was born at Belfast, in the North of Ireland, in 1852, a son of James and Mary (McIlveen) McCready,
of Scotch descent. He attended the schools of Belfast and in 1882 received his certificate from the Government
School of Art. He then spent a year with Harland & Wolf, shipbuilders, obtaining his certificate as joiner.
In 1884 he came to Fall River, Mass., where he was employed as a carpenter one year. After a visit to his native
place hem again came to America in 1886 and was employed by Mead & Taft at Tuxedo. Two years later he formed
a co partnership with William M. Finch to conduct a general contracting and building business under the firm name
of McCready & Finch. Their business developed rapidly and employment given to from three to four hundred men,
erecting many of the most substantial buildings in Tuxedo Park, including the homes of Ambrose Monell, W. B. Densmore,
W. B. Garrison, J. Henry Smith, a private school in the Park costing $35,000, and the $30,000 school in the village.
He also rebuilt the Episcopal church. In 1905 Mr. McCready purchased Mr. Finch's interest in the business and is
now conducting it alone. Mr. McCready has now under contract to erect in Tuxedo Park a residence for C. W. Clinton,
of the firm of Clinton & Russell, architects, of Nassau street, New York; a Methodist church at Sloatsburg,
an extension to William M. V. Hoffman's house, and alterations to A. D. Julliard's house, Tuxedo Park.
Mr. McCready is a member of numerous fraternal organizations, including Scottish Rite Masons and the Mystic Shrine.
In 1889 he married Mary, daughter of John Finch, of Sloatsburg. They have two children, Olive and Robert Halsey.
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium