GEORGE W. KERR, who for more than half a century was an officer of Orange County's strongest financial institutions,
was born in Warren County N. J., February 15, 1810. His ancestors were originally from Scotland, but M' Kerr's
father was born at Freehold, N. J. His parents removed to Ithaca, N. Y., where he obtained a position in the branch
of the Bank of Newburgh. In 1830, when the branch was withdrawn, and the Bank of Ithaca established, Mr. Kerr entered
the new bank and remained there until October, 1831, when a position was offered him in the Bank of Newburgh, with
the officials of which he had become acquainted through his connection with the branch bank
In 1836 Mr. Kerr was promoted to the position of cashier, and in 1854 he was elected president to fill the vacancy
caused by the death of John Chambers. In 1864, when the old Bank of Newburgh was closed and the National Bank of
Newburgh organized, Mr. Kerr was again honored with the presidency. He continued in that position till his death,
having been cashier of the bank for eighteen years, and president for thirty seven years. He died June 3, 1890.
Mr. Kerr was a trustee and vice president of the village in 1856, and a member of the board of education in 1852-1854.
For forty seven years he was a vestryman of St. George's Protestant Episcopal church, and for thirty one years
treasurer of the board.
Upon his death the directors of the bank adopted the following minute: "His sound judgment, perfect integrity
and eminent ability have been long recognized in financial circles, and his excellence in all the relations of
life will long be remembered in this community. By us his immediate associates, and by all in any capacity attached
to this bank, his memory will always be cherished. He has left to his family and this community, where he has spent
so many years of a long and useful life, a legacy better than earthly riches, a good name."
The vestry of St. George's church adopted resolutions recording "their very high esteem for his character
and his lifelong devotion to the church and her interests. It is with grateful feeling that we remember the steady
consistency of his Christian walk, his uprightness as a business man, his value as a citizen, his zeal as a churchman.
We owe him no slight debt for his faithful service as our treasurer for thirty one years, during which time his
unflagging attention to the affairs of the parish has contributed essentially and in a large degree to its stability
Mr. Kerr was twice married. His first wife was Emeline Ross, his second, Margaret T. L, daughter of the Rev. John
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium