WILLIAM FOSTER, retired manufacturer and prominent citizen of Newburgh, was born in England in 1841. He was
engaged as a school teacher in his native country for a period of five years, and in 1867 came to America as selling
agent for James Taylor, who was subsequently proprietor of the Newburgh Woolen Mills. He continued in this capacity
until 1888, when upon the death of James Taylor, Mr. Foster and James S. Taylor purchased the plant and conducted
the business with much success until 1902. The establishment was then incorporated as the Stroock Plush Company,
Mr. Foster holding the office of vice president. He was also vice president of the Stroock Felt Company until 1906.
He has been a director of the National Bank of Newburgh since 1895.
Mr. Foster takes an active part in promoting the welfare of Newburgh's charitable institutions. He is president
of the Associated Charities, trustee of the home for the Friendless, and member of the board of managers of St.
Luke's Hospital. In religious affiliations he is identified with the Church of the Good Shepherd, holding the office
Mr. Foster married Mary Ann Taylor and seven children were born to them, of whom four are living.
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium