JOHN E. DURYEA, son of Samuel C. and Emily (Tuthill) Duryea, was born: September 6, 184o, on the farm in the
town of Crawford which his father had purchased in 1838. He assisted his father in the management of the farm until
he removed to Pine Bush in November, 1905.
Mr. Duryea's paternal ancestors were French Huguenots. Joost Duryea, the founder of the family in America, came
to Long Island from Holland in 1675, and from Jamaica, Queens County, Yost or George. our subject's great great
grandfather, came to Orange County and settled in the town of Blooming Grove, of which he was a pioneer. He died
in 1760 and was buried at Greycourt. His son, George, during the Revolution, was in active service in the cavalry
department of the Colonial Army. He married Miss Hannah Hudson, of Goshen. Five sons and four daughters were horn
to them, of whom John, grandfather of our subject, married in 1800, Mary, daughter of Samuel and Jeannette (McCurdy)
Crawford, of the town of Montgomery. They settled on a farm near Bloomingburg in the town of Wallkill. Six children
were horn, of whom Samuel C. was the youngest.
John E. Duryea married, in 1863, Miss Jane Frances Hunter, who died in 1883, leaving four daughters, Emily C.,
Mary F., Edna H., Anna Z. Politically Mr. Duryea is a Republican and has occupied a prominent place in public affairs.
He was justice of the peace twelve years and justice of sessions four years. Socially he is identified with the
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium