JOHN DALES, senior member of the real estate and insurance firm of John Dales & Co., Newburgh, N. Y., was
born in Delaware County in 1820, a son of John and Sarah (Cavin) Dales. In 1839 Mr. Dales came to Newburgh and
entered the employ of Crawford Mailler & Co. He was engaged in mercantile pursuits at Memphis, Term., New York
City, and Jordan, N. Y., conducting a flour mill at the latter place fifteen years.
In 1865 Mr. Dales returned to Newburgh and in company with W. O. Mailer engaged in the wholesale grocery and freighting
business for several years. Since 1870 his attention has been devoted largely to real estate. In 1884 Hon. Charles
D. Robinson, mayor of Newburgh, 1906 to 1908, became his business partner and is now the active head of the firm,
Mr. Dales having gradually withdrawn from arduous duties.
Mr. Dales was one of the original members of the Board of Trade, a director in Quassaick National Bank, secretary
of Woodlawn Cemetery Association and secretary of the Newburgh & Midland Railway Company in former years. He
has also served many years as elder, trustee and treasurer of Calvary Presbyterian Church. He is prominently identified
with the Masonic fraternity, being a charter member of Hudson River Lodge No. 607, a Royal Arch Mason, and also
belongs to Hudson River Commandery No. 35, K. T.
In 1845 Mr. Dales married Susan, daughter of Jacob Oakley. There were two children born of this marriage: William
M. Dales, who died November 1, 1883, leaving a daughter, Helen M. Dales, and Mary Belknap Dales, who died January
14, 1900, leaving a daughter, Julia, from her marriage with Chas. D. Robinson.
Mrs. Susan Dales died November 24, 1890. Mr. Dales died March 26, 1908.
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium