SOLOMON CARPENTER. - In 1714 Solomon Carpenter, one of the pioneers of Orange County, settled at Goshen on Main
street, at the intersection of the Newburgh and Montgomery roads, which became known as Carpenter's Corners, and
is now called Johnson's Corners. He was one of the company who bought the Minisink patent from England. He was
made captain of the Goshen Colonial Militia in 1724 and was afterward made colonel. His royal commissions are still
retained by his descendants. The old colonial house at Carpenter's Corners was built about 1724 and was remodeled
by James Carpenter before the Revolutionary War. The property has remained in the family ever since. Jeromus Johnson,
brother of General Jeremiah Johnson, of Long Island, married Mary Carpenter in 1802. The property has descended
to its present owner, Mary E. Johnson, who married Seymour S. Peloubet, a law book publisher, of New York. The
house contains some fine old mahogany furniture, which was brought from England in colonial times in sailing vessels
owned by James Carpenter. These vessels sailed from Newburgh to all parts of the world, bringing wine and spices
from Spain and the islands of the Mediterranean Sea; cloth, dishes and furniture from England, and molasses and
sugar from the West Indies.
Nehemiah Carpenter, a son of Solomon, was quartermaster in the 5th Brigade, New York State, during the Revolutionary
War. He was at the siege of Yorktown and his letters, written just before the battle, are now in possession of
the family. After the war, because of ill health, he went to the West Indies on one of his brother's ships and
has left a very interesting diary of his journey.
James W. Carpenter, son of James Carpenter, was major in the War of 1812, and S. S. Peloubet, who now lives in
the old home, was in the Civil War.
The History of Orange County New York
Edited by: Russel Headley
Van Deusen and Elms, Publishers
Middletown, N. Y. 1908
Orange County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium