Merritt N. Willson, who has been numbered among the leading and able lawyers of Oneida county for more than
three decades, has practiced in Rome since 1895 and maintains his offices at No. 103 West Dominick street. His
birth occurred at Lee Center, this county, on the 14th of May, 1854, his parents being Wright and Lydia (Tracy)
Wilson. The father, a native of Oneida county, passed away in March, 1903. The paternal grandfather came here from
Belchertown, Massachusetts, about 1830.
Merritt N. Wilison obtained his early education in the district schools of Lee Center and attended the Rome Free
Academy in 1874. Subsequently he turned his attention to the profession of teaching, acting as an instructor in
the district schools of the county about four years. Having determined upon a legal career, he began the study
of law in the office of Edward L. Stevens, of Rome, and was admitted to the bar in 1880. He practiced at Lee Center
for fifteen years and on the expiration of that period, in 1895, came to Rome, where he has remained continuously
since. The zeal with which he has devoted his energies to his profession, the careful regard evinced for the interests
of his clients and an assiduous and unrelaxing attention to all the details of his cases, have brought him a large
business and made him very successful in its conduct.
On the 5th of November, 1882, Mr. Wilson was united in marriage to Miss Edith Catherine Brown, a daughter of John
C. and Jemima (Kneiskern) Brown, of Oneonta, New York. Unto them have been born five daughters, as follows: Maude
J., the wife of Clifton E. Schiemmer, of Islip, New York; S. Mabel; Mary B.; Edith A.; and Ethel L. Mr. Wilson
belongs to Roman Lodge. No. 223, F. & A. M., and is also identified with the Royal Arcanum
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium