Another grandson of Hugh White, the pioneer, was Philo White, who was the son of Philo White, son of
the pioneer. He was born in Whitestown, June 23, 1796, and after attaining his early education at Whitestown Seminary,
and having spent some years in a printing office in Utica, he removed to North Carolina in 1820, where he located
at Salisbury, Rowan county, and became the editor of the Western Carolinian, which he conducted until 1830, when
he was appointed United States Navy agent for the Pacific station. Returning home in 1834, he established the North
Carolina Standard at Raleigh, and was elected state printer. Philo White removed to Wisconsin at an early period
of its territorial existence and fixed his residence at Racine. He was the editor of several newspapers at different
periods. In 1847 he was chosen one of the council of the territorial legislature, and in the following year was
elected to the senate of the state legislature. As chairman of the committee of education he shared largely in
devising the present system of public instruction in that state. At a later period he acted in the founding of
Racine College under the auspices of the Protestant Episcopal church of that diocese. In 1852 he was chosen one
of the presidential electors of Wisconsin. In 1849 Mr. White was appointed United States consul to the Hanseatic
republic of Hamburg, and resided there for one or two years. In 1853 he was appointed by President Pierce United
States minister to Ecuador in South America, and in the autumn of that year went with his family to Quito, the
scene of his diplomatic duties; receiving from the president the highest office in his gift, which is literally
true, as the geographical location of Quito in the Andes is 10,000 feet above the level of the sea, and there is
no other city of national government that is conducted at such a high altitude. Mr. White was a man of medium height,
five feet, seven inches, and slight build; remarkably active in his habits; his conversation somewhat rapid, but
gracefully intoned and full of pleasant recollections and acute observations. Mr. White returned to Whitestown
in 1858 and, in 1860, donated to the town the original plot of ground which was donated by his grandfather, Hugh
White, as a site for a court house and public green, which through some technicality of the original deed had reverted
to the heirs; and the citizens in addition to accepting the gift placed in the hall an oil portrait of Philo White.
He died in Whitestown, February 15, 1883, at the age of eighty six years.
White family members in Oneida County
White, De Lancey P.
White, Fortune C.
White, Henry D.
White, Hugh, Hon.
White, Moses T.
White, William M.
White, William P.
Young, William C.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium