FRANCIS TIMOTHY WATSON.
For a period of more than fifty years the Watson family has been identified with the drug business in Clinton,
the present representative being Francis Timothy Watson, who was born in Westmoreland, Oneida county, New York,
on the 14th of October, 1851 His parents were James Tompkins and Hannah M. (Ressegnie) Watson, the father a native
of Troy, this state, and the mother of Oneida county. The Resseguie family trace their ancestry back to colonial
days, the first member having emigrated to America in 1690. In the maternal line, Francis Timothy Watson is descended
from James and John Allen, who participated in the Revolutionary war. John Allen was the first colonist by that
name and located in New England in 1640, having emigrated from Wales. The Allen who owned Prudence Island in Narragansett
Bay was a son of the former.
Francis Timothy Watson resided in the village of Westmoreland until he had attained the age of eight years at which
time his parents removed to Clinton, where his father established a drug store. His elementary education was acquired
in the public schools of both Westmoreland and Clinton, following which he attended the Clinton Liberal Institute
and Clinton Grammar School. Laying aside his text books at the age of fifteen years he entered the drug store established
by his father, in the conduct of which he has now been engaged for forty five years. During this period, however,
he has been identified with the retail drug business in several small towns of the state.
On the 18th of August, 1908, was solemnized the union between Mr. Watson and Miss Dora G Smith of Warsaw and a
daughter of Jacob M. Smith.
Mr. Watson, who has attained the highest rank in Masonry, is quite well known throughout the state in the circles
of this fraternity. He was initiated in Fultonville Lodge, No. 531, F. & A. M., May 14, 1873. Locally he is
identified with Clinton Lodge, No. 169, A. F. & A. M., in addition to which he belonged to the Royal Arch Masons
of Johnston since October 23, 1873, and was made Knight Templar in Holy Cross Commander No. 51 of Gloversville,
New York, May 26, 1874. He is a Knight Templar and member of Damascus Temple of the Nobles of the Mystic Shrine,
of Rochester, while he also is affiliated with the Oswego Consistory, No. 12, having attained the Thirty second
degree in addition to which he was a Steward of the Castodial Asylum of Rome, Grand Standard Bearer of the Supreme
Council of the thirty third degree Masons of the United States, and honorary member of the thirty third degree
Supreme Council of Canada and Newfoundland and representative to the United States of the same. He is also a thirty
third degree Mason of Council Rites of Scotland, and Rose Croix Knights of the Royal Order of Scotland. For four
terms he was Grand Commander in Chief of the Grand Consistory of the state of New York, of thirty second degree
masons and is also a member of the Oriental Order The-Sat-Bhai, Oriental Masonry. He furthermore is a member of
the Mokahana and a royal patron of the Imperial Court, Order of Amaranth, of Utica and a member of the Eastern
Star. Mr. Watson is identified with several organizations of a more purely social nature, among them being the
Skenandoab Club, and the Boat and Masonic Clubs of Utica, and he is also a member of the Central New York Farmers
Club. The political views of Mr. Watson conform with those of the more progressive faction of the Democratic party,
but he has always been too deeply engrossed in his private affairs to actively participate in civic matters. A
man of high ideals, he has ever striven to make his life accord with the principles of the fraternity in which
he has attained such high rank.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium