A well known and favorably regarded citizen of Oriskany is Daniel G. Snyder, the proprietor of Snyder's
Hotel. He is a native of Oneida county having been born in Utica on the 28th of January, 1846, and a son of Daniel
and Sarah Snyder. The father was a native of Alsace, Germany (then France), and the mother of Prussia, from which
countries they emigrated to the United States with their parents who settled on farms in Deerfield township in
1832, where they spent the remainder of their days. In 1844 Daniel and Sarah Snyder were married and about two
years thereafter came to Oriskany with John Snyder, remaining here about two years. At the expiration of that period
they removed to Rome where Mr Snyder engaged in the shoe business until 1863, then went to Utica and conducted
a cafe at Seneca street and Towpath for a year. He subsequently purchased the property at the corner of State and
Columbia streets where he continued his business until 1871, when he disposed of his establishment and invested
largely in Utica city property. Mrs. Synder passed away in Utica in 1893 and was laid to rest in Forest Hill cemetery.
Daniel then came to Oriskany and lived with his son Daniel G., until his demise in 1898.
The education of Daniel G. Snyder was acquired in the red schoolhouse on the canal in Rome and after its completion
he became associated with his fatherS in business. This connection continued until the 3d of March, 1891, when
Mr. Snyder came to Oriskany and bought a small hotel which he conducted for about two years then purchased his
present location. In October, 1894, he began the erection of his present building, which is a large frame structure
he has occupied since March 1, 1895, maintaining it as a first class up to date hotel.
On the 8th of September, 1866, Mr. Snyder was united in marriage to Miss Barbara Kohline, and of this union was
born one daughter. Mamie, who married Charles A. Harrer, of Utica. On the 16th of September, 1877. Mr. Snyder was
again married, his second wife being Mrs. Frederica Erhardt, of Utica, and unto them were born the following: Lorreta,
who passed away on the 5th of April, 1891, and was buried in Forest Hill cemetery; and Lilliam J., the wife of
Frank Snyder, who died in Utica on the 23d of November, 1910, also buried in Forest Hill; Clara, who was born on
the 16th of July, 1886, the wife of Fred Martin; and Freda, born on the 11th of November, 1895, at home with her
Mr. Snyder is a member of the New York State Hotel Men's Association, and while residing in Rome was a member of
the fire company and also belonged to the Utica Volunteer Fire Department until it was changed to a City department.
He now belongs to the Utica Exempt Firemen's Association, his certificate bearing the signature of Mayor J. S.
Sherman. In politics he has always remained independent, giving his support to such candidates as he considered
best qualified for the offices regardless of party affiliation. He has ever taken an active interest in municipal
affairs but has always firmly refused to accept either an office or nomination. A man of genial and affable nature
as well as pleasing personality Mr. Snyder has many friends by whom he is highly regarded.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium