One of the promising young members of the medical profession of Utica is Dr. Andrew Sloan, whose office
is located in the Stewart building. A native son, his natal day was the 5th of January, 1880, and his parents Dr.
Hugh and Elizabeth Helen (Wetzel) Sloan. Dr. Hugh Sloan was a native of Scotland, his birth having occurred in
Kilmarnock on the 2d of January, 1844; in his early boyhood his parents, who were carpet weavers, emigrated to
the United States locating in Oneida county. Here Hugh Sloan, the father of our subject, grew to manhood, obtaining
his education in the common schools and the Whitestown Seminary. He was an ambitious, studious youth and aspired
to a professional career being strongly attracted toward medicine and surgery which he later elected to adopt for
his life vocation. In the acquirement of his professional education he attended the Albany Medical College, from
which institution he was graduated with the class of 1865. He had just attained his majority when awarded his degree,
almost too young to inspire much confidence in those dependent upon his services, but his skill and ability quickly
offset this disadvantage. Immediately following his graduation he opened an office at Washington Mills, where he
remained for two years, following which he went to Chicago, Illinois, where he practiced for a year. In 1868 he
returned to this county and established an office in Utica, which he maintained until his demise on the 7th of
September, 1910. Dr. Hugh Sloan was one of those fortunate individuals who in the choice of a vocation haply chose
the profession for which he was by nature most ably qualified. After the first few struggling years, which fall
to the lot of every young physician who is entirely dependent upon his own efforts, he had a very large practice.
It was the result neither of influence nor assistance but of his own ability. He possessed the rare personality,
so essential to success in this profession, which together with his skill as a diagnostician and dexterous hand
united in making him recognized as one of the most able representatives of his profession in the city.
Dr. Sloan was united in marriage in 1877 to Miss Elizabeth Helen Wetzel, of Utica, and to them were born five children,
four of whom survive, as follows: Hugh, Andrew, Samuel and Robert. Public spirited and progressive, a man of ideals,
Dr. Sloan always took great interest in all municipal affairs, meeting the demands of good citizenship as he recognized
them by forwarding every movement for the betterment of the city's government. His political support he accorded
the democratic party, and was a member of the board of supervisors for a time in which capacity he gave most efficient
Reared at home Dr. Andrew Sloan acquired his preliminary education in the public schools of his native city, being
graduated from the Free Academy with the class of 1898. In the autumn following he went to New York city, matriculating
in the College of Physicians and Surgeons affiliated with Columbia University. He was awarded the degree of doctor
of medicine from this institution with the class of 1902, and immediately thereafter returned to Utica, taking
a position on the staff of St. Luke's Hospital. Subsequently he became associated with his father with whom he
continued to be identified until the latter's demise, since which he has been practicing alone. Although he has
succeeded to his father's practice, Dr. Sloan has been able to hold it on his own merits and during the period
of his practice has generally become recognized as a very capable and promising physician.
As Dr. Sloan has never married he continues to reside with his mother at the old homestead at 604 Columbia street.
Fraternally he is identified with the Masonic order and has attained high rank in the Scottish Rite. He maintains
relations with his brother practitioners through the medium of his membership in the Oneida County Medical Society
and New York State Medical Association, and he is also affiliated with the Utica Medical Club and Utica Medical
Library Association as well as St. Luke's Clinical Society.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium