Biography of Dr. Walter H. Scheehl
Oneida County, NY Biographies





Dr. Walter H. Scheehl, discharging his professional duties with a sense of conscientious obligation because of his thorough understanding of the responsibility that devolves upon the physician and surgeon, has won for himself a foremost place in the ranks of the medical fraternity of this part of the county. He has practiced successfully in Utica and the public has attested its faith in his skill and ability by giving him a liberal patronage. Numbered among the younger representatives of his profession in this city, he was here born on the 26th of April, 1883, a son of Jacob and Mary Louise (Schrader) Scheehl. The father, who was born in Bavaria, Germany, on the 4th of May, 1848, came to America in the following year with his parents, who located in Utica, New York. He attended the public and German parochial schools, and also the Advanced school, from which he was graduated in 1862, and after completing his education spent three years with Remington's old armory and a similar period with Reynolds Brothers', shoe manufacturers. For two years he served as clerk in the canal collector's office and then, from April, 1871, until October, 1873, was employed in the New York Central freight office. In 1883 he became station agent of the West Shore railroad and in July, 1887, was made joint agent of the two roads, from which position he resigned, however, in July, 1891, to engage in the coal business with William F. Hayes, under the firm style of Scheehl & Hayes. In 1892 he was elected alderman of the tenth ward and by reelection was retained in that office until his death. A stanch democrat in political belief, he was twice chosen to fill the office of president of the common council of Utica and represented his community in various political conventions, notably those at Saratoga in 1892 and Syracuse in 1895, and was chairman of the democratic city committee in 1898. He was a thirty third degree Mason and few men of Oneida county were more prominent in Masonic circles, holding membership in the following bodies: Oriental Lodge, No. 224, F. & A. M., of which he was past master, served for many years as trustee and was past district deputy grand master of this district; Oneida Chapter, No. 57, R. A. M., of which he was secretary for many years; Utica Commandery, No. 3, K. T.; Utica Council, No. 28, R. & S. M.; Utica Consistory, No. 2, A. A. S. R., in which rite he received the thirty third degree; and Ziyara Temple, N. M. S., in which he served as chief raben for three years, acting potentate for one year and also as recorder. He was treasurer of the Masonic board of trustees of the several Masonic bodies of Utica for many years, was a charter member of the Masonic Club and was very active in securing the Masonic Home for Utica, being district deputy grand master at that time. He was a member and past regent of Fort Schuyler Council, No. 404, R. A., and was its representative to the grand lodge of the state for two years. For several years he also served as a trustee of the Homestead Aid Association of Utica, and was one of the most prominent and respected citizens of Oneida county. He passed away August 21, 1897, and at the time of his death left a very valuable estate as the visible evidence of a life of activity and industry. He was married, in 1878, to Miss Mary Louise Schrader, of Utica, a daughter of John B. and Martha (Metzer) Schrader, both natives of Hesse-Cassel, Germany. The mother, Martha (Metzer) Schrader, was the sister of the celebrated painter whose canvas of The Lord's Supper now hangs in San Souci Palace, the property of the Emperor of Germany. John B. Schrader was a custom shoemaker by trade and brought to Utica the first sewing machine for the purpose of making boots and shoes, while he also introduced new methods of tanning, etc. He was an expert workman, with an extensive list of customers that included not only Utica but all of central New York, and his trade assumed such proportions that at the time he announced his intention of retiring from business he was overwhelmed with orders. He and his wife are both decease, the only surviving member of the family being Mrs. Jacob Scheebi. She was born in Utica in 1850 and received her education in the private schools of this city. By her marriage to Mr. Scheehl she became the mother of three children but one is now deceased, the surviving members being Dr. Walter H. and Emma. She continues to reside in Utica, where she has a large circle of warm friends who admire her for. her intelligence and refinement and love her for her many beautiful qualities of character. She is the owner of a fine estate left to her by her husband which is now under the management of her son.

Dr. Walter H. Scheehl began his education in the South street school and later attended the Utica Advanced and Free Academy and Utica Preparatory School. Deciding upon a medical course, he entered the Chirurgical Medical College of Philadelphia, graduating therefrom in 1907 with the M. D. degree. He then put his theoretical training to the practical test in the Chirurgical Hospital of Philadelphia and later in the Reading (Pennsylvania) Hospital, after which he pursued special courses on the subject of internal medicine in the Philadelphia Hospital and also in the Cook County Hospital, at Chicago, Illinois. This broad preparation thoroughly equipped him for the conduct of his chosen life work and, returning to Utica, he at once opened an office for practice here. Although his connection with the medical fraternity of this city covers but a short period, he has been signally successful from the first, and is now accorded a large and representative patronage, while he is rapidly taking his place among the prominent and capable physicians of this district He has continuously been a student of his profession, carrying his investigations far and wide into the realms of scientific knowledge, and anything that tends to bring to man the key to that complex mystery which we call life is of interest to him.

Dr. Scheehl was married, May 23, 1911, to Miss Gladys M. Head, of Chicago, formerly of Utica, and they now reside at No. 11 West street. The Doctor belongs to Christ Dutch Reformed church of Utica, of which his mother is also a member, and is a man of high moral character. In politics he is an independent republican, and in fraternal relations is a Mason, belonging to Oriental Lodge, A. F. & A. M., and Oneida Chapter, R. A. M. He likewise belongs to Almanac Lodge and the encampment, I. O. O. F., and has served as physician for that order, and is a member of the Independent Order of Foresters. He is identified with the Woodmen of the World, of which he is serving as council commander, and is a member of the board of trustees of Utica Lodge, Loyal Order of Moose. He is also well known in medical circles as a member of the Oneida County Medical Society and the New York State Medical Society.

From:
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago 1912


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Oneida County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012