Charles H. Sayre, who passed away in Utica on the 27th of April, 1894, was numbered among the most estimable
residents of the city and was for many years prominently identified with its business interests as a hardware merchant.
He was one of the worthy native sons of Utica, his birth having here occurred on the 5th of September, 1825. His
father, James Sayre, who was born in Milton, Saratoga county, New York, in 1799, came to Utica in 1818. He was
a man of upright character, good business qualifications, and in early years was quite conspicuous among the public-spirited
citizens of Utica. He was first employed in the store of John H. Handy, afterward became a partner, and on the
death of Mr. Handy assumed the whole business. Down to the year 1852 he had several partners, and in 1837 also
joined the firm of Townsend, Sayre & Clark for carrying on trade in New York city. From 1852 until his retirement
he conducted business in association with his sons, Charles H. and Theodore S. He was a director in the United
States Branch Bank, and for a short time in the Ontario Branch and for many years in the Oneida National Bank,
of which he was president at the time of his death. He was also a director of the Black River Railroad from its
reorganization and for many years was a trustee of the First Presbyterian church. He was for a time the prudent
and judicious head of the Cemetery Association. He took a deep interest in public affairs, but sought no office,
and held none save that of alderman, in 1834. In 1824 he married Miss Amelia Van Ranst, of New York city, by whom
he had five children, three sons and two daughters, namely: Charles H., of this review; Mrs. Anna C. Byxbe; James;
Caroline, and Theodore S. Mr. Sayre was called to his final rest on the 22d of April, 1877.
After completing his education Charles H. Sayre entered his father's hardware establishment and in 1850 was admitted
as a partner, conducting business in association with his father and brother Theodore, under the firm style of
James Sayre & Sons, until the death of the senior partner. The business was continued by the brothers for two
years, or until 1879, when Theodore retired. Charles H. Sayre was then alone until 1884, when the establishment
was destroyed by fire. He succeeded his father as a director of the Oneida National Bank and took an active part
in its management. His business life was one of intense and unwearied industry, and those with whom he was associated
recognized in him a man of high purpose as well as of marked enterprise and activity.
Mr. Sayre was married to Miss Yora F. Guixnguineer, who was born in New York city on the 28th of February, 1834.
In early manhood he gave his political allegiance to the democracy but subsequently became a republican. He served
as alderman during the years 1851-53. He never sought office, however, as a reward for his party fealty. His term
as trustee of the Firemen's Benevolent Association exceeded in length that of any other incumbent in the office.
During almost the entire period of his connection with the association he acted as chairman of the relief committee.
He was also a trustee of the First Presbyterian church and was likewise a member of the Fort Schuyler Club and
the Oneida Historical Society. He was a devoted husband, a loving father and a faithful friend. His entire life
was spent in Utica, where he had a circle of friends that was almost coextensive with the circle of his acquaintances
His widow has also resided in that city the greater part of her life, now making her home at No. 142 Park Avenue.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium