Dr. Gilbert N. Lehr, who maintains his offices at No. 219 West Liberty street in Rome, has long been numbered
among the leading and successful medical practitioners of the City. His birth occurred at Ava, Oneida county, New
York, on the 13th of January, 1857, his parents being George and Katherine (Yordon) Lehr. The former, a native
of Germany, was a lad of twelve years when he crossed the Atlantic to the United States in company with his father,
George Lehr, Sr., who had fought under Napoleon in the Russian campaign and also at Moscow and subsequently was
with Blucher at Waterloo. It was in 1822 that they settler at Ava, Oneida county, where the grandfather took up
general agricultural pursuits, which also claimed the attention of George Lehr, Jr., throughout his active business
career. Mrs. Katherine (Yordon) Lehr came here with the Dutch settlers from the Cherry Valley. By her marriage
she became the mother of ten children, all of whom are yet living.
Gilbert N. Lehr obtained his early education in the district schools of Ava and subsequently attended the Boonville
high school and Whitestown Seminary. He followed the profession of teaching at Ava for two terms and then spent
a similar period as a student in the University of Michigan. He next took up the study of medicine at New York
city and won the degree of M. D. in 1880. Locating for practice at Taberg, Oneida county, he there remained for
two years and discharged the duties of postmaster in connection with his professional duties. In 1883 he removed
to Frankfort, Herkimer county, where he followed his profession for fifteen years, also acting as surgeon for the
West Shore Railroad, who at that time conducted their large shops there. When the corporation abandoned that location
Dr. Lehr came to Rome in 1898 and has here remained continuously since. Since entering upon the active practice
of medicine he has kept in constant touch with the progress of the profession, carrying his researches far and
wide into the realms of scientific knowledge, while his broad experience has also greatly promoted his skill and
efficiency. He is very careful in the diagnosis of a case, seldom, if ever, at error in anticipating the outcome
of disease, and in his practice conforms to the highest standard of professional ethics. Dr. Lehr is one of the
four coroners of Oneida county, is on the staff of Rome Hospital and belongs to the New York State Medical Society
and the Oneida County Medical Society.
In September, 1881, Dr. Lehr was married to Miss Nellie Gue, a daughter of Jerome V. and Clara (Keech) Gue, of
North Western, Oneida county. They have one daughter, Sadie M., who is now the wife of Howard D. Wolfe, of Rome.
Dr. Lehr belongs to Roman Lodge, No. 223, A. F. & A. M., and is also a valued member of the Rome Club. Prompted
in all that he does by laudable ambition and his broad humanitarian principles, as a member of the medical fraternity
he has attained high rank among those whose skill is uniformly acknowledged, while his prosperity is recognized
as the merited reward of his labor.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium