Biography of Dr. Arthur R. Grant
Oneida County, NY Biographies





Dr. Arthur Rogers Grant, a member of the staff of the Homeopathic Hospital of Utica and a successful general practitioner having his office at 321 Genesee street, was born in Binghamton, New York, on the 21st of November, 1871, his parents being Bradley M. and Cornelia (Rogers) Grant. The father died when the son was very young, after which the mother returned to her people in Utica. The Rogers family were pioneer settlers here and have been prominently connected with leading events in the history of the city from an early day. The doctor is a descendant of Oliver Glason Rogers, who came to this county from Rhode Island about 1805 and settled in the Sauquoit valley, five miles south of Utica, where he erected a machine shop and foundry for the manufacture of cotton and woolen machinery, supplying the mills in this part of the state for many years. He invented and improved many machines for the manufacture of both cotton and woolen cloth and brought from England the first machinery for calico printing, to be tried at a mill in Cohoes, New York. In 1837 his eldest son, Amos Grant, became a member of the firm and the business was enlarged. As each of his six sons finished school they were admitted to partnership and several of them became inventors and expert draftsmen. They were, indeed, a family of master mechanics. The little hamlet was known as Rogersville for some time during the '50s, when the name was changed to Willowville. In 1859 the works were extended to include the manufacture of agricultural implements and in 1861 the company received a contract from the United States government for fire arms. On the 4th of July, 1865, the entire plant was destroyed by fire and in August of the same year the founder, Oliver Glason Rogers, passed away.

At the usual age Dr. Grant was sent as a pupil to the public schools and afterward attended the Free Academy, while later he prepared for a professional career as a student in the Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons, from which he was graduated in the class of 1897. In the same year he pursued a special course in the New York University and for a time attended the Post Graduate Hospital. Upon his return to Utica he entered at once upon general practice and is regarded as one of the most successful surgeons of the city, where for fourteen years he has followed his profession with constantly increasing success. His position as a leading member of the medical profession here has its root in his comprehensive knowledge of the scientific principles that underlie his work, in his conscientious devotion to those whom he serves and in his close adherence to a high standard of professional ethics. The Homeopathic Hospital counts him as a valued member of its staff and he is also a member of the State Homeopathic Society and of the American Institute of Homeopathy.

On the 1st of September, 1897, Dr. Grant was married to Miss Lillian Clark, a daughter of Eli Clark, of Oneida, New York. Their little daughter, Priscilla, is the life and light of their home, which is situated at 321 Genesee street. Dr. Grant belongs to Faxton Lodge, No. 697, F. &. A. M., and the high principles of manhood and citizenship, of brotherly kindness and helpfulness, which the craft inculcates find expression in his life.

From:
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago 1912


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Oneida County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012