A well known dairyman of Deerfield township is Horatio S. Goodwin, who was born in Utica, New York, on
the 1st of March, 1858, and is a son of the late Edward and Sarah (Davis) Goodwin. The father, who was the son
of a mason, was born in Shropshire, England, in 1819, and educated in the common schools of his native country.
After the completion of his schooling he became a coachman, continuing in that employment until he came to America.
In 1845 he came to Utica to take a place as coachman for Mrs. Seymour, the mother of Horatio Seymour, in whose
service he remained for several years. He subsequently engaged in market gardening on Broad street, where he remained
for about twenty years, then rented the Perkins farm in New Hartford township Here he engaged in farming and dairying,
selling milk at retail in Utica. In 1879 he removed to Deerfield township and leased the Northup farm which he
operated for about fifteen years. He retired from active work in 1892 and removed to the village of Deerfield where
he passed away on the 14th of July, 1897. Mr. Goodwin was married while living in England to Miss Sarah Davis,
who died in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1901. They were the parents of the following children: Charles E. Goodwin, a molder
of Utica, who died in December, 1910; William H., a resident of Utica, New York; Elizabeth, the wife of Jacob C.
Faber, a trunk manufacturer, of Cleveland, Ohio; Jane, who died in infancy; Emma, of Cleveland, who married Robert
W., Gamble, a furrier; Julia, the wife of L. Garlock, also of Cleveland; Mary B., who died in girlhood; Sadie,
who married Thomas W. Baxter, of Utica; and Horatio S., our subject. Edward Goodwin was a man of unusual capabilities
and became widely known throughout the county as an extensive dairyman. Owing to his progressive ideas he was very
much interested in the modern methods of conducting the business along more sanitary lines.
Horatio S. Goodwin was educated in the public and high schools of Utica. after the completion of which he became
associated with his father until the Tatter's retirement. He continues to be extensively engaged in dairying and
keeps a fine herd of forty five Holstein cows on his homestead, which contains one hundred and sixty acres of land
devoted to pasture and hay. His barns and milk sheds are fully equipped with all modern appliances conducive to
sanitary regulations governing the distribution of milk.
In November, 1884, Mr. Goodwin married Miss Nellie N. Burton, who was born in Deerfield township, on the 11th of
June, 1856, and died July 9, 1901. Mrs. Goodwin was the eldest daughter of Thomas M. and Elizabeth (Owens) Burton.
One child was born to Mr. and Mrs. Goodwin, Nattie, whose birth occurred on the 31st of March, 1886. She became
the wife of Herman Long and they have a son, Horatio Goodwin Long, who was born on the 26th of January, 1908.
Mr. Goodwin is a member of the Royal Arcanum and is a communicant of Grace Episcopal church, with which his parents
were also affiliated. Although he takes a lively interest in all public matters he has always been very deeply
engrossed in his private affairs in the development of which he has met with such gratifying success.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium