Wadsworth L. Goodier was born in Utica, August 13, 1858. His grandfather Aaron Goodier came to this country
from England in 1793, coming up the Mohawk River on a flatboat. He bought land back on the hills of Litchfield,
Herkimer county, which he cleared and occupied for the rest of his life, and where he raised a large family. His
youngest son was Jonathan, who after being graduated at Wesleyan University, Middletown, Connecticut, and spending
several years in teaching in Washington, D. C. and the south, came to Utica about 1850 and engaged in the coal,
wood and lumber business. For many years he had a yard between LaFayette and Varick street, on the Chenango Canal.
His coal came by boat on that canal from Binghamton, and wood and lumber from the Adirondack region. He married
Clarissa Treadway of Middletown, Connecticut, in 1851.
The subject of this sketch was educated in the public schools of Utica, and in January 1876 began the study of
law with Burton D. Hurlburt, who was the attorney and agent of Alexander T. Stewart & Company of New York,
at that time one of the greatest business concerns of the country. They operated the Utica Steam Woolen Mills,
corner Columbia and Schuyler streets, and the Washington Mills in New Hartford. Considerable litigation followed
their acquisition of the mills and Mr. Hurlburt had the handling of it. Mr. Goodier was admitted to the bar at
Rochester on October 10, 1879. The following year Mr. Huriburt resigned as attorney for the Stewart estate, and
Mr. Goodier was appointed its local representative. The property was gradually disposed of until all that now remains
is some lots in West Utica. The care of this property, and the sale of the machinery from the mills, occupied most
of Mr. Goodier 's attention for three or four years. In June 1884 he was able to take up the law again, and entered
the office of his brother-in-law, Hon. W. T. Dunmore, where he remained about a year. In 1885 he opened an office
of his own at No. 166 Genesee street, where he remained until 1890. In January of that year he removed to No. 56
Arcade Building where he has practiced since. Besides carrying on a general law practice Mr. Goodier has dealt
largely in real estate, having bought and sold many properties and built about fffty houses. He is president of
the Goodier Realty Company.
On November 26, 1885, Mr. Goodier was married at Mankato, Minnesota, to Miss Lulu V. Long. They have three children,
James H., Virginia and Treadway.
Mr. Goodier was a member of the Utica Citizens Corps from 1881 to 1885. He became a member of the Royal Arcanum
about 1892. He is also a member of the Sons of the Revolution and for several years has been the historian of Fort
Schuyler Cbapter of Utica.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium