Harrison Gilmore, a veteran coal merchant of Utica, belongs to one of the well known families of Oneida
county He was born at East Franklin, now Treadwell, Delaware county, New York, June 21, 1840, being a son of James
Harvey and Maria (Trowbridge) Gilmore. The father was born at Cambridge, Vermont, and the mother at Eastford, Connecticut.
They moved to Delhi, Delaware county, New York, where Mr. Gilmore started a woolen mill, which he carried forward
successfully until the financial panic of 1837, when the failure of a commission house in New York city forced
him to close up the mill_ With the aid of a brother he paid all obligations and then moved to East Franklin. He
there started another woolen mill and carded rolls of wool such as the women of those days spun into yarn at home.
In 1845 he came with his brother William to Clayville, New York, to assist Frederick Hollister in starting the
Clayville Woolen Mills. A year later Mr. Gilmore came to Utica with his three brothers, William, Sylvester and
Hiram, to assist in starting the Utica Steam Woolen Mill, the first mill in western New York to operate by steam.
In April, 1847, he moved his family to this city. He died in Utica in 1849.
Mr. Gilmore of this sketch received his early education in the public schools and then went to East Franklin, at
that time called Croton, and served for three years as clerk in a country store. Returning to Utica, he attended
school for one year, after which he became connected as clerk in the dry goods store of Henry Harrison in the Devereux
block, on the site where Mr. Gilmore now has his office His next employment was at West Eaton, Madison county,
where he clerked for two years in the store of Henry W. Chubouck, but at the end of the time named returned once
more to Utica and entered the employ of Fowler & Gilmore, coal dealers, with headquarters at Fayette and State
streets. He continued with this firm four years, becoming thoroughly acquainted with the business and on May 1,
1865, entered the coal trade on his own account on the west side of Pine street. He has ever since engaged as a
coal dealer and has met with the success that rewards conscientious effort. When the Delaware, Lackawanna &
Western Railway Company purchased the Susquehanna Railroad and extended it to Binghamton, thereby bringing coal
by all rail route to this city Mr. Gilmore was selected as agent for the sale of the same and continued in that
capacity for several years.
On the 16th of April, 1862, he was married, at Utica, to Miss Ida Virginia Bice, a daughter of Aaron J. Bice, a
well known shoe merchant of this city. They were blessed with four children, three of whom died in infancy. James
Harvey, the only one of their children who survives, has long been associated with his father in business. Mr.
Gilmore is a sincere believer in the Bible and has been trustee of the First Methodist church of Utica since its
organization in 1868, a period of forty three years. He has also served as treasurer of the board of trustees of
this church during the entire time named and has been an earnest worker in its behalf as well as in promotion of
the best interests of the city. Throughout a long and honorable business career he has been conscientious, capable
and unswerving in his fidelity to every trust.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium