Charles Yates Fuller has for eight years been the owner of the Yates Hotel and since the 27th of January,
1911, has given his attention to its conduct, making it one of the leading hostelries in this section of New York.
Since the outset of his business career he has proven his worth and capability in busi ness circles. He was born
in Schenectady, New York, December 25, 1850, and traces his ancestry back to Thomas Fuller, who came to Woburn,
Massachusetts, which name afterwards was changed to Middletown, in 1638. His grandfather was Ebenezer Fuller, his
father Charles Fuller. The latter was born in Schenectady, New York, and there learned and followed the trade of
broom making up to the time of his death, which occurred in 1857. He had married Sarah A. Lewis, whose maternal
grandfather, Sanborn Ford, was a soldier of the American army in the Revolutionary war, taking part in the engagement
at Fort Montgomery and the siege of Yorktown, also being present at the surrender of Lord Cornwallis. The marriage
of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fuller was celebrated in Utica and although they did not remain continuous residents of
this city they returned about 1855, but later took up their abode in Schenectady, New York.
Charles Y. Fuller was a lad of four years when the family home was established in Utica, where he pursued his education
in the public schools. He began learning the stone cutter's trade in Lockport, New York, in 1868, and subsequently
was employed on the building of the state capitol at Albany for eleven years. In 1887 he returned to Utica and
the following year began taking contracts for stone cutting on his own account. He was the first to introduce machinery
for stone cutting in this county between New York and Chicago and he continued the business for many years, furnishing
the cut stone for many of the substantial structures of the city, including the Public Library, the Second National
Bank, the Oneida County Historical building, Olivet church on Howard avenue, the Church of the Holy Cross on Bleecker
street, Commercial Travelers' buildings, First National Bank, St. Patrick's church on Columbia street, Utica City
Savings Bank, Citizens Trust Bank, Utica Free Academy, the parochial school in Little Falls and various other buildings
elsewhere in the state, including public structures and fine private residences. His labors were a substantial
and valuable element in the improvement of the city along many lines. Of recent years his attention has largely
been devoted to mining interests and the hotel business and he has spent much time in prospecting and locating
mines. He promoted the Mohawk Alpine Mining Company and was its organizer and later was active in merging this
company with the Pittsburg Silver Peak Gold Mining Company, which has assets of over three million dollars and
on the executive board of which he is serving. In connection with two other men he owns and controls the Baseball
Club, of Troy, New York. Eight years ago he purchased what was known as the old Dudley House, owned by the Miller
estate and converted it into the Yates Hotel, of which he has been the active manager since the 27th of January,
1911, making it one of the attractive and popular hostelries of western New York. He was the first boy to sell
newspapers on the streets of Utica, starting in 1859 and continuing until 1868, and although this was a humble
start in the business world his progress has been continuous and his labors have brought substantial returns, so
that he is now numbered among the men of affluence in this city.
On the 23d of April, 1877, Mr. Puller was married to Miss Augusta Blumenthal, of Utica, who was born in Germany.
They now have one son, George L., who conducts the Fuller Electric Cut Stone Works, succeeding his father in the
business, and a daughter, Ada C. The family has long been prominent in the city, both in business and social relations.
Mr. Fuller is a member of Oriental Lodge, No. 224, F. & A. M. and was formerly connected with the Knights of
Pythias and the Knights of Honor. He is very active in local republican ranks and has frequently been a delegate
to party conventions. His life record proves that the road to prosperity is that of activity and determination,
intelligently directed, and that success is ambition's answer.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium