The Camdon Library Association
Oneida County, NY Biographies





The Camden Library Association, now one of the well organized and prosperous public institutions of the village, was organized on the 6th of December, 1890, at the residence of Mrs. W. T. Stevens, on which occasion Mrs. Elizabeth T. Pike was elected president; Mrs. W. T. Stevens, vice president; Mrs. Jane F. Williams, second vice president; Miss Tessie M. Durr, secretary; and Mrs. M. B. Osborn, treasurer. On the 1st of August, 1891, the library was opened in the Curtiss block with two hundred and eighteen volumes. On the 6th of December following the number of books had reached five hundred and fortynine. In October, 1894, a removal was made to the Opera House block and in January, 1896, to the present quarters in the new town hall. On the 1st of July, 1911, there were fifty three hundred and twenty four volumes. The present officers of the organization are: Mrs. E. H. Conant, president; Mrs. E. T. Pike, first vice president; Mrs. P. A. Farnsworth, second vice president; Mrs. D. G. Dorrance, secretary; Mrs. Susan B. Cromwell, treasurer; and Miss Annie More, librarian. The Camden Library Association numbered among its charter members the following: Mrs. Martha S. Adams, Mrs. Ida B. Becker, Mrs. Ella M. Conant, Mrs. Caroline P. Conant, Mrs. Grace S. Cook, Mrs. Susan B. Cromwell, Mrs. Phil.mona W. Curtiss, Mrs. Grace S. Case, Mrs. Elma D. Davies, Mrs. Emma F. Dorrance, Mrs. Ellen L. Dorrance, Mrs. Nancy E. Edie, Mrs. Nellie D. Ewart, Mrs. Emma P. Frisbie, Mrs. Charlotte J. Gamble, Mrs. Caroline P. Harvey, Mrs. S. H. Harding, Mrs. Phoebe J. Miller, Mrs. Maria B. Osborn, Mrs. Irene N. Stevens, Mrs. Lida T. Stoddard, Mrs. Jane S. Strong, Mrs. Jane F. Williams, Mrs. Mary A. Stansfield, Mrs. Harriett M. Phelps, Mrs. Fonteila H. Farnsworth, Miss Tessie M. Durr, Miss Lelah Miller, Miss Annie Shanley, Mrs. Lois S. Kendall, Mrs. Jennie H. Morss, Mrs. Elizabeth T. Pike, Mrs. Clara H. Stoddard, Mrs. Louise W. Stone, Mrs. Helen H. Wolcott, Mrs. Julia C. Upson, Mrs. Helen A. Mann, Mrs. Etta S. Gunther and Mrs. Ellen B. Dorrance.

The Library is under the state board of regents and since 1906 the town has contributed five hundred dollars each year to the institution. It is open every day from three to nine p. m., except holidays and Sundays, and is liberally patronized, indicating the interest of the townspeople in literary matters.

From:
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Chicago 1912


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION

Oneida County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012