Among the successful manufacturers of Rome Erwin C. Carpenter occupies a prominent place both on account
of the extent of the operations over which he has control and also because of lifelong associations with a city
whose interests he has been largely instrumental in advancing. He was born at Rome, October 7, 1846, a son of Henry
S. and Mary A. (Cowles) Carpenter. The father was a native of Herkimer county, New York, and came to Rome early
in his life. He was a mason by trade and for many years was actively engaged in building in this city, erecting
many of the private residences and larger structures of Rome. He died in 1893, his wife passing away one year later,
Erwin C. Carpenter, a member of a family of seven children, attended the public schools of Rome and Albany Seminary.
After returning from Albany he became a partner in the wholesale grocery business at Rome under the title of Etheridge,
Tuller & Company. After ten years Messrs. Carpenter and Tuller withdrew from this firm and started a business
under the name of Tuller & Carpenter and so continued for three years, when the partnership was dissolved.
In 1887 Mr. Carpenter became interested in the manufacture of wooden beds, cots and couches under the firm name
of Carpenter & Dyett. Gradually the firm began the manufacture of iron and brass beds, cots, etc., and in 1895
the business was incorporated as the Rome Metallic Bedstead Company, of which Mr. Carpenter is president. This
company stands foremost among the manufacturers in this line of goods in the United States. In addition to the
large plant at Rome the company maintains two branch establishments in New York city and branches at Chicago, Boston,
Philadelphia and Baltimore, thus meeting the demands of a large and increasing patronage. The success of the business
has been in a great measure due to the untiring efforts of Mr. Carpenter and his ability in selecting men as assistants
who are imbued with the same ideas of promptness and reliability in all transactions that have been exemplified
in his own career. The company is noted for the quality of the product sent from its factories and the liberal
and fair dealing adhered to by its management.
On the 27th of October, 1873, Mr. Carpenter was married to Miss Julia C. Fuller, a daughter of Charles Fuller,
of this city, and they have one son, Arthur F., who is treasurer of the company of which his father is president.
Mr. Carpenter and his family reside in an attractive home at 317 North George street.
A man of strong social instincts, he is a valued member of Roman Lodge, No. 223, A. F & A. M., and also of
the Rome Club and the Te-Uge-Ga Country Club. He is a liberal contributor to movements for the promotion of the
permanent interests of his native city and, although he has never taken a prominent part in politics, he is a supporter
of honest government impartially administered for the benefit of the taxpayers. Through his own efforts he has
won his way to a leading position among the manufacturers of New York state and ranks as one of the foremost and
representative citizens of Rome.
History of Oneida County, New York
From 1700 to the present time
of some of its prominent men and pioneers.
By: Henry J. Cookinham
The S. J. Clarke Publishing Company
Oneida County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium