Biography of The Hon. William Richmond
Niagara County, NY Biographies

NAVIGATION

Niagara County
Biographies
A to E
F to K
L to O
P to R
S to Z

Online -
Biographies

New York
Histories

Michigan
Histories

Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906 ] NEW

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012

Richmond, Hon. William, was born in Worcestershire, England, October 6, 1847, a son of John Richmond, a miller of that section, who came to America in 1863, settling at Oswego, N. Y., and now deceased. William Richmond received his education at a private school in England, and removed with his parents to America in 1863. In 1868 he entered the employ of his uncle, James Richmond, an extensive manufacturer of milling machinery at Lockport, and upon the decease of his uncle in 1873, he succeeded to the business and has since carried it on successfully. In 1881 he formed a stock company of which he became president and since that year the business has been controlled by that company. In 1895 Mr. Richmond was appointed by President Cleveland to the position which he now holds, of collector of the port at Niagara Falls and has since resided in that city. Mr. Richmond has been prominent in politics in the city of Lockport, having been elected alderman of the First ward in 1881, serving until 1883, when he was elected mayor of the city and served in that capacity until 1884. In 1889 he was elected alderman of the Third ward and held that office for two years; and in the same year. 1889. was elected to the Board of Education and served until 1895. He was president of the Board of Water Works from 1884 to 1887 and was president of the Lockport Business Men's Association for a number of years prior to his removal to Niagara Falls. He has been a member of Niagara Lodge No. 375, F. & A. M., since 1869 and a member of the Royal Arcanum since 1882, at Lockport. October 12. 1870, he married Mary McGill of Lockport, daughter of William and Mary (Prentice) McGill, and they have three sons and two daughters.


From:
Landmarks of Niagara County, New York
Edited by William Pool
D. Mason & Company, Publishers, 1897


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies