Carpenter, George W., p. o. Chittenango Station, postmaster and merchant at Chittenango Station, was born at
Orwell, Oswego county, N.Y., November 27, 1844, a son of Hannah and Reuben S. Carpenter. His paternal ancestors
were from Connecticut, and his parents were among the earliest settlers in Hamilton county. They came to this county
in 1846, where Reuben died June 26, 1898, his wife still living at the old homestead. Mr. Carpenter's education
was acquired chiefly at the common schools in this vicinity and in 1877 he opened a general store at Port Byron,
N.Y., remaining there until 1887, when he engaged in business at this place. He has been successful in business
and enjoys the esteem of all who know him. Various minor official positions bad come to him prior to his appointment
as postmaster at Chittenango Station in May, 1888. August 27, 1865, he married Mary E. Shaver of Sodus, N.Y. Their
children are as follows: Kitties, born October 18, 1867; Frank B., born April 8, 1873; Elmer R., born April 16,
1878, and Charles S., born October 7, 1871, and who died March 11, 1872. Mr. Carpenter's father, Reuben S. Carpenter,
was born in the town of Hope, Montgomery county, N. Y., August 6, 1821. At the age of nineteen he purchased his
time from his father and started in business for himself. He was a stonecutter by trade and went to work for the
State on the Black River Canal, where he worked about a year. He then removed to Orwell, Oswego county, where he
remained about two years. While at Orwell he was married to Hannah C. Pennock (a sister of the late Ebenezer Pennock).
From Orwell he removed to Three River Point, where he resided about a year, removing from that place to Oak Hill.
Here Mr. Carpenter was employed by Captain Cady one of the pioneers of this town. When the Erie Canal was enlarged
Mr. Carpenter removed to Bolivar, where he had charge of the work of obtaining stone for the bridge and culvert
at that place. From Bolivar he removed to his late residence north of Chittenango Station, where he resided up
to the time of his death. The "Squire," as Mr. Carpenter was known hereabouts, was in early life a Democrat,
but became a Republican at the formation of that party and has since been an active member. Some years ago he was
elected justice of the peace, which was the only office he ever held. The immediate vicinity of the "Station"
at the time he came here was practically an unbroken forest, and Mr. Carpenter's reminiscences of the early days
of his residence here were very interesting. In 1863 Mr. Carpenter went to the State of Ohio, remaining there until
1864, when he was employed by the United States Government as foreman (with the rank of captain) in the government
shipyards at Chattanooga, Tenn., where he remained until the close of the war, after which time he followed the
business of carpenter and builder. Mr. Carpenter was the father of eight children, five of whom, George W., Mrs.
Mathew Chapley, Mrs. George Bender, Mrs. George Olmstead, and William E. Carpenter, together with his wife and
a brother, George H. Carpenter of Sheboygan, Wis., survive him.
Our County and it's people
A Descriptive and Biographical Record of
Madison County, New York
Edited by: John E. Smith
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1890
Madison County, NY
Names A and B
Names C to E
Names F to K
Names L to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium