William F. Warner. - As president of the Warner Knitting Company, of Clayton, Mr. Warner is recognized as one
of Jefferson County's most successful business men. He was born at Mannheim, Baden, Germany, May 31, 1882, the
son of Frederick 31 and Lena (Switzer) Warner.
Frederick J. Warner and his wife were natives of Baden, Germany, born at Carlsrhue. They emigrated to the United
States in 1882 and settled at Little Falls, N. Y., where Mr. Warner became prominent as a building contractor.
Before coming to this country he had served throughout the Franco-Prussian War with the rank of captain. He and
his wife are deceased and are buried at Little Falls. They were active members of the Lutheran Church. Their children
were: Charles C., lives at Little Falls; Lena, married Emil Schultz, lives at Little Falls; Luke, lives at Pasadena,
Calif.; Mary, married Elias M. VanGorder, a farmer, lives in Herkimer County, N. Y.; and William F., the subject
of this sketch.
After attending the public schools of Little Falls, William F. Warner learned the machinist's trade as an apprentice
in the employ of the Snyder & Fisher Manufacturing Company, of Little Falls. They were manufacturers of bicycle
and knitting machinery. Mr. Warner later became interested in the manufacture of power sewing machines, and for
several years was also identified with the American Cement Machinery Company at Willoughby, Ohio. His next business
connection was with the Lewis Knitting Company as superintendent of their mill at Sauquoit, N. Y. He was transferred
by the company to Earlville in 1906, but after the closing of that plant the following year Mr. Warner went to
Clinton, N. Y., where he successfully operated a sweater mill until 1911. The following year was spent in Chicago
with the Union Specialty Company, manufacturers of power machines, and in 1912 he located at Utica as manager of
the Imperial Text Book Company. Later in that year he became superintendent of the White Rock Knitting Company
at Walton, N. Y., and two years later accepted a position with the Nottingham Knitting Company of Oswego, with
whom he was identified until Jan. 15, 1922. He then purchased an interest in the Clayton Manufacturing Company,
which he disposed of July 1, 1925. The following month he organized the Warner Knitting Company, and immediately
built his present factory building at Clayton. The business was incorporated Aug. 10, 1925, with the following
officers: William F. Warner, president and treasurer; Mrs. C. A. Warner, vice president; and Miss A. C. Warner,
secretary. They are widely known manufacturers of bathing suits and sweaters, their products being sold throughout
the United States and Canada and all countries except Russia, Japan, China and Austria. Seventy people are employed
in the plant, which is of two story construction, 40 x 122 feet.
In 1903 Mr. Warner was united in marriage with Miss Carolina Agnes Hull, the daughter of Augustus and Agnes (Mould)
Hull, natives of Oneida County, N. Y. Both are deceased and are buried at Sauquoit. Mr. and Mrs. Warner have a
daughter, Agnes Caroline. She is a graduate of Syracuse University and is identified with the Warner Knitting Company
Mr. Warner has always been a Republican. He is senior warden of the Episcopal Church, and secretary of the Rotary
Club. His lodge affiliations are: Clayton Lodge, F. & A. M. No. 296, Past Master, 1928; Clayton Chapter, R.
A. M. No. 301; Watertown Commandery, K T. No. 11; and Media Temple.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Jefferson County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium