Biography of John M. Tilden
FROM OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A DESCRIPTIVE WORK ON JEFFERSON COUNTY
NEW YORK
EDITED BY: EDGAR C. EMERSON
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS 1898

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Tilden, John M., was born in Randolph, Vt., August 8, 1837. In 1857 he came to Watertown, where he was employed by Goodnow, Holden & Co. in peddling tinware on the meager salary of $14 per month and furnished his own horse. He continued in this capacity twelve and a half years and increased his salary during the time to $100 per month and was furnished with the entire outfit, consisting of as good a span of horses, weighing 2,800 pounds, as could he found, and as good a peddling wagon as could be built; at the end of which time, in recognition of his faithful service and business ability, he was admitted as a partner. After the death of Mr. Goodnow, which occurred April 1, 1872, Mr. Tilden purchased a half interest in the business and the firm was then known as Holden & Tilden until the withdrawal of Mr. Holden in 1882, when Mr. Tilden became sole proprietor. In 1894 Mr. Tilden formed a partnership with David M. Anderson, which continued until July 1, 1888, when be again became sole owner of the business. Mr. Tilden's eminent success is due to exemplary habits and strictly business principles which are worthy of emulation. He married Harriet A. Kelsey of the town of Antwerp, in 1861, and they have three daughters: Mrs. H. N. Denny of Watertown, Mrs. John Parker Martin of New York city, and Mrs. W. N. Smith of Schenectady, N. Y.

 

Return to [Jefferson County Bio's ] [ New York History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter