Biography of Captain J. A. Taylor
FROM OUR COUNTY AND ITS PEOPLE
A DESCRIPTIVE WORK ON JEFFERSON COUNTY, NEW YORK
EDITED BY: EDGAR C. EMERSON
THE BOSTON HISTORY COMPANY, PUBLISHERS 1898

--------------------------------------------------------------------


Taylor, Capt. J. A., was born in Gauanaqua, Ontario, Canada, October 3, 1824, a son of Benjamin and Sarah (Rosbeck) Taylor. Captain Taylor came to the United States when twelve years old and followed sailing until 1847. In that year he built a steam saw mill which he conducted until 1861, when he enlisted in the N. Y. Heavy Artillery, with the rank of first lieutenant. He resigned in 1863 and in the fall of 1864 enlisted in the 186th Regiment, serving until the close of the war and was present at the surrender at Appomattox. He held the commission of second lieutenant during this service. After the war he conducted a saw mill at Alexandria Bay until 1872. In 1871 he purchased a pleasure yacht and ran it on the river for fifteen years. Captain Taylor's greatest project has been the development of Murray Hill Park; he purchased what was formerly known as Hemlock Island, formed a stock company, surveyed the island into lots, arranged for the building of the great Murray Hill Hotel, and in short made Murray Hill what it is to day; he is vice-president of the company. Captain Taylor married Julia A. Conwell of Oswego, and they had two children: Mrs. C. C. Pierce of Fine View Hotel, and Ada J., wife of Dr. Maxson of Bay City, Mich., who died leaving one daughter, Minnie A. Captain Taylor is largely interested in real estate throughout the county and owns a steam yacht on the river.

 

Return to [Jefferson County Bio's ] [ New York History ] [ History at Rays Place ] [ Rays Place ]

.Blind Counter