William Andrew Sullivan. - Representative of the prominent and influential business men of Watertown was William
Andrew Sullivan, who died April 7, 1930. He was president of the W. A. Sullivan Lumber Company, the Sullivan Realty
Corporation, and the Sullivan Securities Corporation. Mr. Sullivan was born at Brownville, N. Y., March 21, 1868,
the son of John C. and Agnes (McConnell) Sullivan.
John C. Sullivan and his wife were natives of Ireland, and were prominent pioneer citizens of Brownville, N. Y.
He died in December, 1898, and his wife died in 1912. Both are buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Watertown.
William Andrew Sullivan attended the public schools of Brownville and came to Watertown in 1885. He entered the
employ of the E. W. Knapp Lumber Company as a mill hand. The firm later became Winslow & Knapp, and after a
number of years was reorganized as White & Anthony. Mr. Anthony's interests were subsequently purchased by
Mr. Sullivan, the business being known as White & Sullivan until 1912, at which time Mr. Sullivan retired from
the firm. In 1913 he organized the W. A. Sullivan Lumber Company in Polk Street. Mr. Sullivan maintained his yard
office in the northwest corner of his first planing mill. In 1915 he expanded his business and purchased the present
Lamon Street Lumber Yard. In 1920 he bought the land for the Water Street Yard and in 1923 erected a modern office
at 140 Polk Street. At the time of his death in 1930, he was recognized as one of the North Country's leading lumber
dealers and a reliable business man. Mr. Sullivan is buried in Glenwood Cemetery, Watertown.
April 29, 1902, Mr. Sullivan was united in marriage with Miss Agnes O'Leary, the daughter of Patrick and Elizabeth
(Berry) O'Leary. Both were natives of Ireland. Mr. O'Leary died in 1888 and his wife died in 1876. Both are buried
at Mt. Morris, N. Y. To Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan have been born two children: 1. Helen Elizabeth, married John M.
Reynolds, attorney, Watertown. They have a son, William Sullivan Reynolds. 2. Edward Cornelius, who is identified
with the W. A. Sullivan Lumber Company.
Mr. Sullivan was a prominent member of Holy Family Catholic Church, where he served as trustee for over 30 years.
He belonged to B. P. O. Elks, No. 496, and Knights of Columbus, Watertown Council, No. 259.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Jefferson County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium