Edson E. Robinson. - Perhaps one of the best known business men of Watertown is Edson E. Robinson, who is president
of Edson E. Robinson, Inc., stationers, located at 111 Washington Street. He was born at Canandaigua, N. Y., July
13, 1878, the son of Edson C. and Kate Jane (Shaw) Robinson.
Edson C. Robinson was born at Canandaigua and his wife was a native of Keene, N. H. He was the son of John Spear
and Jane (Utter) Robinson, who were natives of Ontario County, N. Y. John Spear Robinson was widely known as the
manufacturer of the John Robinson Chilled Plows, being the inventer of the chilling and carbonizing process which
prevents breakage in the plow. He was the owner of this patent and engaged in manufacturing for many years. With
his son, Edson C. Robinson, he went to Syracuse, N. Y., where they became identified with the Syracuse Chilled
Plow Company. They returned to Canandaigua in 1875, where they organized the firm of John S. Robinson & Son.
Edson C. Robinson continued in business with his father until the latter's death, at which time he organized the
Robinson Chilled Plow Company, and served as secretary and general manager of the new company. He died in 1900
and his wife died in 1892. Both are buried at Canandaigua. Mr. Robinson was a Republican, a member of the First
Baptist Church and belonged to the Maccabees. To Edson C. and Kate Jane (Shaw) Robinson were born five children:
Edson E., the subject of this sketch; Ella Shaw, lives at Watertown; John Maurice, lives at Rochester, N. Y.; Ray
M. and Leon W., live at Watertown.
Edson E. Robinson was educated in the public and high schools of Canandaigua, and was associated in business with
his father for a number of years. In 1900 he entered the banking firm of Williams & Barnes at Canandaigua,
which later was reorganized as the McKechnie Bank. Mr. Robinson served as bookkeeper. He later became interested
in business with William J. MacFarlane, as a member of the firm of Robinson & MacFarlane. They purchased the
book store of W. H. Foster in Canandaigua. On April 1, 1912, Mr. Robinson came to Watertown and in partnership
with James H. Bradley purchased the Powers Book and Stationery Company. Three years later he purchased Mr. Bradley's
interest and the business was thereafter known as Edson E. Robinson, Inc. Leo M. Robinson is vice president, with
Ray M. Robinson as secretary and treasurer. The firm purchased the John Sterling Book Shop in 1920, and the following
year established a stationery and book shop in the Arcade.
In 1918 Mr. Robinson was united in marriage with Miss Ann Louise Murray, the daughter of Charles R. and Margaret
(Failing) Murray, natives of New York. The former is deceased and the latter lives in Watertown. Mr. and Mrs. Robinson
have two children, Virginia Ann and Edson E., Jr.
Mr. Robinson is a Republican, a member of Trinity Episcopal Church, and belongs to Masonic Lodge and Rotary Club.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Jefferson County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium