Biography of Frank W. Lawton


Jefferson County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F and G
Names H to K
Names L to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online Biographies

Jefferson County History

New York History

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Lawton, Frank W., was born in the village of Evans Mills, November 15, 1859, a son of Henry W. and Electa M. (Davis) Lawton. He was educated in the public schools of his native village and after mastering the studies which these schools afforded, was offered and accepted a clerkship in the store of Wesley Rulison, where he continued for upwards of three years, when he concluded to relinquish clerking and accordingly took charge of his mpther's farm, which he worked until her death in 1891. He then acquired possession of the place by inheritance and still continues the ownership. In 1894, in company with F. E. Croissant, the present coal and lumber business was established on Leray street and continued until 1897, when Mr. Croissant retired, since which time Mr. Lawton has conducted it alone, gradually enlarging the output until the trade extends throughout Leray and adjoining townships. In 1892 Mr. Lawton married Celia, daughter of Rezot Tozer of Evans Mills, and they have one son, John Stewart. Mr. Lawton is a Republican and was town clerk of Leray for one year from 1881 to 1882. Combining farming with the coal and lumber business does not deprive Mr. Lawton of that social divertisement and good fellowship usually found in the lodge room and in fraternal gatherings. He is a member of Pisgah Lodge No. 720, F. & A. M., of Evans Mills, and has passed through various chairs until he reached that of master of his lodge; he is also a member of Theresa Chapter, R. A. M.

Our County and it's people
a descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York
Edited by: Edgar C. Emerson
The Boston History Co., Publishers, Syracuse, N. Y. 1898