Biography of N. C. Houghton


Jefferson County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F and G
Names H to K
Names L to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online Biographies

Jefferson County History

New York History

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Houghton, N. C., was born in Ellisburgh, N. Y., January 8, 1826, a son of Nahum and Marie (Brown) Houghton. He was educated in the common schools and Union Academy of Belleville, and followed farming until about twenty-six years old. He taught music eight years, was a clerk for several years and was engaged in the mercantile business in Belleville for about twenty years; he was postmaster, beginning in May. 1861, and continued thirteen years; he was elected justice in 1876 and served eight years. He has been trustee and treasurer of Union Academy since 1875 and one of the three trustees of the Endowment Fund of said academy since it started in 1878. He is a member of Rising Light Lodge No. 637, F. and A. M., being a charter member. October 27, 1858, he married Marietta Warriner, a daughter of Walter and Eliza (Green) Warriner; Mrs. Warriner was a daughter of Col. Henry Green, mentioned in this work. Mr. and Mrs. Houghton attend and support the Methodist Episcopal church; he was leader of the choir in different churches of Belleville for some years. A brother of Mr. Houghton, Rev. James Dunbar Houghton, was born July 5, 1820, and educated at Union Academy and graduated from Union College. He taught languages at West Point for some years and came to Belleville as principal of Union Academy in 1851, serving thirteen years. His wife was Ellen A. Brown and they had five children, three of whom are living. He was an ordained minister, but did not follow that profession; he was also principal at Carthage, Hungerford Collegiate Institute of Adams and Oneida Academy. He died in Carthage, October 21, 1874, and his wife in 1896.

Our County and it's people
a descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York
Edited by: Edgar C. Emerson
The Boston History Co., Publishers, Syracuse, N. Y. 1898