Biography of Capt. Philander B. Grant

NAVAGATION

Jefferson County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F and G
Names H to K
Names L to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z
===========
QuickLinks

Online Biographies

Jefferson County History

New York History

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Grant, Capt. Philander B., was born in Lewis county, N. Y., March 9, 1827. He removed with his parents to Pillar Point, from thence to about four miles from Clayton village, where he remained on a farm until about eighteen years of age. Here he received his education at the district school. He then commenced sailing on the lakes until 1850. On the first day of April he left Sackets Harbor for California by way of New York. On the 11th day of April he sailed from New York on the James K. Polk to go around Cape Horn and arrived in San Francisco on the 18th day of September, same year; from thence he went to the mines; worked in mines for a year and a half; then he went into the general grocery and miner supplies, conducting that business with a partner. Came east in the spring of 1853 and June 9, 1853, married Maranda S. Stone of Sackets Harbor and then returned to California in September following. There continued business until 1856, then came east with his wife. Remained in Sackets Harbor for two years, then went to California again by way of the Panama route. Remained there one year and then closed out business and returned east again, and in 1862 enlisted in the 10th N. Y. H. A. Vols. as a second lieutenant, and in September was ordered to Washington and from there went into the forts around Washington, and in 1863 was promoted first lieutenant and the following year as captain. May, 1864, was ordered to reinforce Grant at Cold Harbor and served in defense of Richmond and Petersburg, and in 1864 was ordered to Washington and then down to the Shenandoah Valley. February; 1865, was discharged on account of disabilities and returned to Sackets Harbor. In 1868 removed to Watertown and engaged in the grocery business on Public Square and continued in that business until about 1876 when he sold out and in 1878 engaged in the same business with a partner named S. W. Reynolds. In 1884 W. H. Mould took the place of S. W. Reynolds and the firm name was P. H. Grant & Co., and in 1886 J. W. C. Sparks bought Captain Grant out and in 1890 Captain Grant bought Sparks's interest and then the firm name was Grant & Mould, which copartnership still exists. Mrs. Grant died May 19, 1887, and in 1890 he married Libbie L. Abbey. His family consists of Ida May Mould, Jennie E. Witt and Frederick H. Grant.



FROM:
Our County and it's people
A descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York
Edited by: Edgar C. Emerson
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1898


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

-