Biography of John S. Dickson


Jefferson County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F and G
Names H to K
Names L to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online Biographies

Jefferson County History

New York History

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Dickson, John S., was born in Antwerp, N. Y., son of Robert, son of John Dickson. Robert Dickson was born in Roxburyshire, Scotland, in 1817, and came to Brockville, Canada, in 1833, and to Antwerp, N. Y., the same year, where he died. He was one of the leading farmers of the town, having about seven hundred acres of land. In politics he was a Whig and Republican. He was one of the stockholders of the Plank Road, and also had stock in the Rome & Watertown railroad. His wife was 4nn Wilson, who was born in Scotland, daughter of Alexander and Nellie (Smith) Wilson, who came to Hammond, St. Lawrence county, N. Y., in 1833, where they died. To Robert Dickson and wife were born four children, all of whom are living. Mr. Dickson died November 20, 1893. Our subject was reared on a farm and educated in Ives Seminary. He is a farmer by occupation, and also sells agricultural implements. He has 178 acres of land, and keeps a dairy of twenty-five cows. September 12, 1877, he married Sophia. daughter of Myron and May Frances (De Wolfe) Lewis, he a son of Stephen Lewis, son of Ephraim Lewis, one of the first settlers in Wilna in 1808. Ephraini Lewis kept the first hotel in the place. The wife of Capt. Lewis was A. Sophia Ross, and the parents of Mary Frances DeWolfe were Rev. Harvey and Cornelia (Wolsey) De Wolfe, who came to Wilna in an early day. To our subject and wife have been born six children: Sylvanus L., Ora F., Walter E., John E., Sanford R., and Glenn W., all of whom are living. Sylvanus L. Dickson married Chloe, daughter of Albert Canfield, October 27, 1897.

Our County and it's people
a descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York
Edited by: Edgar C. Emerson
The Boston History Co., Publishers, Syracuse, N. Y. 1898