Biography of William M. Comstock


Jefferson County Biographies

Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F and G
Names H to K
Names L to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z

Online Biographies

Jefferson County History

New York History

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

Comstock, William M., was born in Evans Mills, in 1840, a son of Dr. William G. and Jane (Munson) Comstock, both deceased. Dr. Comstock is remembered by those still living, as both physician and merchant, he carrying on for a number of years a general merchandise and drug and grocery business with Dr. Smith, under the firm name of Smith & Comstock. which continued until about 1845, Dr. Cornstock continuing the business until his death in 1851. In 1853 John M. a brother of William, succeeded to the business and William M. became associated with him in the latter part of 1856 and continued uninterruptedly till August, 1862. In that year he married Maria L. Eddy, daughter of Horatio N. Eddy, of Evans Mills, and in the same year enlisted in Co. C, 10th N. Y. Heavy Artillery, as a private, was commissioned lieutenant six weeks later and accompanied the regiment to the seat of war. In the early winter of 1863 he was prostrated with typhoid fever and after a long illness in the., hospital was discharged for disability and returned home and resumed business relations with his brother, John M., till 1866, when they discontinued the Evans Mills store and opened a general merchandise establishment on Court street in Watertown, which they conducted with success, relinquishing in 1872 owing to the fact of his brother having been appointed to a lucrative position in the pension department at Washington, D. C., where he was chief of the western division at the time of his death in 1884. Mr. Comstock's business ventures did not end with the closing out of the Watertown enterprise. He immediately formed a copartnersliip with Caleb Slocum in the general merchandise business and the manufacture of woolens at Slocumville and continued for two years, then sold out and again returned to Evans Mills, engaging in the hardware business for a number of years, until his store was destroyed by fire and he decided to retire from active business. His only sister, Mrs. Emma Simons, widow of Frank Simons, late of the treasury departrnent, resides in Washington, D. C. Mr. Comstock has two brothers living in Watertown, N. Y. Clarence B., manager of the Great Northwestern Telegraph office, and Charles G., employed by Camp & Massey, druggists. In 1889 Mr. Comstock met a great bereavement in the death of his amiable wife, since which time he has led a retired life, dividing his time about equally between his home in Evans Mills and his cottage at the Islands, the latter place being his preference when in season.

Our County and it's people
A descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York
Edited by: Edgar C. Emerson
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1898

Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies