Jefferson County Biographies
Names A to B
Names C to E
Names F and G
Names H to K
Names L to O
Names P to S
Names T to Z
New York History
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium
Bullard, P. D., was born in Henderson, N. Y., July 6, 1819, a son of Percival and Dorcas (Phillips) Bullard.
Percival Bullard was born on the Green Mountains, in Vermont, August 17, 1789, and came to Massena with his parents
previous to the war of 1812, where his father bought a farm, a part of which is now occupied by Massena village.
He ran a hotel at Ogdensburg during the war, when the British came over and burned the place together with the
hotel; he then went to Henderson and from there went West to locate land, and died in St. Louis. Percival Bullard
was a merchant in Sacket Harbor during the war of 1812, after which he went to Henderson, where he engaged with
his brother Jonathan in the dry goods business, and remained there until 1824, when he came to Theresa and bought
a grist mill and saw mill of Leray and ran them until 1830, when he died. Percival D. Bullard was five years old
when he came to Theresa with his father; he is now the oldest continuous resident of the village. When he was thirteen
years of age he entered Lowville Academy, where he remained two and a half years, and then began his business life
as a clerk in the store of Rulison & Thomas at Evans Mills, where he remained one year as clerk; he then went
to Belleville and engaged in the store of O. S. Salisbury as clerk, where he remained one year until the spring
of 1837, when he came to Theresa and clerked for Anson Ranney in his store three years, at the end of which time
he entered into partnership with Mr. Ranney before he was twenty-one years of age; they reinained together in business
four years until the spring of 1844, when he, Dr. J. D. Davison, Franklin Parker and Artemas Baker built a business
block which stood until the great fire in April, 1890. In the spring of 1845 he filled his corner store in said
block with goods, where he remained selling goods on his own account until the spring of 1848, when his brother-in-law,
Ambrose Walradt, became his partner; they continued in business until 1861, when they dissolved partnership, Mr.
Walradt and J. B. Davison as partner continuing the business until the close of the war in 1865. At this time Mr.
Bullard, J. D. Flower (brother of Governor Flower) and Mr. Walradt formed a business connection for the sale of
general merchandise; they remained together in business until January, 1870, when Mr. Flower retired from the firm
and removed to Utica. From this time until the spring of 1873 the business was continued under the firm of Bullard
& Walradt. Mr. Bullard then sold his interest in the firm to George Kelsey, and since that time has lived retired.
He owns a farm of 164 acres, and twentytwo acres of land in the village; also a good residence in the village.
He has been one of the railroad commissioners of the town since the commencement of the Black River and Morristown
Railroad in 1870. In 1840 he married Catharine Walradt, a niece of Dr. John D. Davison; they had eight children:
Percival A., Abigail C., Amelia A., Clarence D., Florence A., Ida May, George W., and one that died in infancy.
Mrs. Bullard died in 1870, and for his second wife he married Maria Walradt in the fall of 1871; she died November
4, 1890. Mr. Bullard is a Democrat and held the office of supervisor for his town in 1851, 1857 and 1863.
Our County and it's people
A descriptive work on Jefferson County, New York
Edited by: Edgar C. Emerson
The Boston History Co., Publishers 1898