George W. Wilson. - Among the prominent lumber dealers of Franklin County, Mr. Wilson is widely known, and he
is a representative citizen of Fort Covington, where he has spent practically his entire life. He was born at Fort
Covington, March 6, 1871, the son of Charles W. and Hannah (Griffin) Wilson.
Charles W. Wilson was born at Fort Covington, Feb. 4, 1847, and spent his entire life as a farmer. He died on Feb.
2, 1927, and is buried in Fort Covington Cemetery. He was the son of Seth B. Wilson, who was also a native of this
place, born in 1820. His father, Jonathan Wilson, was born in northern Vermont, and came to New York with his parents
when he was a small child, the family being among the first to settle in this section of New York.
Charles W. Wilson was married on May 10, 1870, to Miss Hannah Griffin, the daughter of Daniel Griffin, of Fort
Covington. To them were born five children: 1. George W., the subject of this sketch. 2. Nellie, born March 24,
1874, a graduate of Potsdam Normal College, where she specialized in the study of music. She is the wife ofo Arthur
N. Dowd, a civil engineer. They live in Cleveland, Ohio, and are the parents of three daughters. 3. Sherman, born
in 1877, died in 1882. 4. Carrie, born in 1885, a graduate of Fort Covington Academy, married William Twaddle,
lives at Burke, N. Y. 5. Catherine, born in 1887, a graduate of Fort Covington Academy, married Wallace Mann, and
lives at Ravenna, Ohio. They have two sons.
George W. Wilson received his education in the public schools of Fort Covington, and as a young man was associated
in farming with his father. He later owned a fine farm of his own and for 30 years was recognized as one of the
leading dairy farmers and stockmen of the North Country. He specialized in the breeding of Holstein cattle. Mr.
Wilson disposed of his farm in 1919, and three years later acquired an interest in a lumber business at Fort Covington,
in partnership with F. S. Hutchins. Since 1929 Mr. Wilson has been sole owner of the enterprise. Mr. Wilson has
also held the office of supervisor of the town of Fort Covington for eight years. He held the office of first superintendent
of highways in the town of Fort Covington for three years.
Mr. Wilson was married (first) in 1894 to Miss Elizabeth Kelly, who died on June 12, 1912. A daughter, Edna, born
in 1897, is the wife of Frank Moore, of Rochester, N. Y. Mr. Wilson was married (second) on Aug. 2, 1916, to Miss
Mary A. Henry, the daughter of George S. and Ada (Frye) Henry. A sketch of Mr. Henry appears elsewhere in this
Mr. Wilson is a Republican in politics, a member of the Presbyterian Church, and belongs to the Masonic Lodge and
the Grange. His wife is a member of the Methodist Church.
Mr. Wilson has gained quite a reputation in the past as a breeder of fine colts, many of them being developed later
into champion trotting horses.
The North Country
A History, Embracing
Jefferson, St. Lawrence, Oswego, Lewis
and Franklin Counties, New York.
By: Harry F. Landon
Historical Publishing Company
Indianopolis, Indiana 1932
Franklin County, NY
Names A to L
Names M to Z
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium