Biography of John E. Selkirk


Selkirk, John E., Buffalo, son of Col. George H. and Emily (Peabody) Selkirk, was born March 12, 1871, in Buffalo, where his grandfather, John H. Selkirk, settled when it was a growing village. John H. was long a prominent architect and builder, and left many notable examples of his handiwork. He built the present Buffalo State Normal School, the Delaware Avenue M. E. and the Calvary and Central Presbyterian churches, and numerous other imposing structures, and died in 1879. The death of his wife, Laura A. Holden, occurred in 1892. Col. George H. Selkirk, born in Buffalo on February 10, 1835, first studied and followed the art of sculpture, but on the breaking out of the Civil war in 1861 enlisted as lieutenant of Co. D, 49th N. Y. Vols. He served four years, becoming captain, major and colonel of his regiment, and was wounded in the Wilderness at the fight called the "Bloody Angle." After the war he was one of the proprietors of the Buffalo Express for several years, and is now secretary of the Buffalo Park Commission. John E. Selkirk was graduated from the Buffalo High School in 1890, read law in his native city with Henry W. Box, and was graduated from the Buffalo Law School and admitted to the bar in 1894. Since then he has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession.

Our County and its people
A descriptive work on Erie County, New York
Edited by: Truman C. White
The Boston History Company, Publishes 1898


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Erie County Biographies

Names A to Be
Names Bi to Bu
Names C
Names D
Names E and F
Names G
Names H
Names I to Kl
Names Kn to L
Names M to Mi
Names Mo to O
Names P
Names Q and R
Names S to Si
Names Sk to Sw
Names T to V
Names W to We
Names Wh to Z

Genesee County Biographies

Online Biographies

New York History

Erie County History

Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906 ] NEW