Biography of Charles Berrick


Berrick, Charles, Buffalo, one of a family Qf thirteen children, was born in Coleshill, Warwickshire, England, December 11, 1826, and received a common school education. He served an apprenticeship at the trade of mason and bricklayer with George Stephenson & Son, locomotive builders, and with others, until he was twenty-one years old, and afterward followed that business until 1850. when he came to America in the bark "Henry." He settled in Buffalo, and in 1852 engaged in business for himself as a mason and contractor. Among the many noted structures which stand, either in whole or in part, as monuments to his industry, are the Erie and Lake Shore round houses in Buffalo, several elevators, the Tuft House, the German Insurance building, the Hengerer store, St Louis church, the Coal and Iron Exchange, the Bank of Buffalo, the Hotel Iroquois, the Marine Bank, and numerous dwel1ings. In 1892 he admitted his sons Alfred A. and John F. to partnership, and in 1894 he retired. Since the latter year the business has been continued under the firm name of Charles Berrick's Sons. Mr. Berrick was for over over forty years one of the leading contractors of Buffalo. He is a prominent, public spirited citizen, widely esteemed and respected, and has always enjoyed the confidence of the entire community. December 24, 1852, he was married to Margaret Callan, of Buffalo.

Our County and its people
A descriptive work on Erie County, New York
Edited by: Truman C. White
The Boston History Company, Publishes 1898


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies


Erie County Biographies

Names A to Be
Names Bi to Bu
Names C
Names D
Names E and F
Names G
Names H
Names I to Kl
Names Kn to L
Names M to Mi
Names Mo to O
Names P
Names Q and R
Names S to Si
Names Sk to Sw
Names T to V
Names W to We
Names Wh to Z

Genesee County Biographies

Online Biographies

New York History

Erie County History

Also see [ Railway Officials in America 1906 ] NEW

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium

Family Tree Maker 2012