FREDERICK WEHNES - During thirty eight years of activity in connection with the butcher trade, Frederick Wehnes,
of The Bronx, New York, not only contributed much to the health and wellbeing of the public but built a very successful
business of his own. His butcher shop prospered in The Bronx from 1896 until 1923. There he saw the possibilities
of his section and purchased valuable property which is the basis of his present fortune and of his success as
a realtor. He was born October 16, 1869, in Rothenburg A. Fulda, Hesse-Nassau, Germany, son of Carried and Madeleine
(Braun) Wehnes, both natives of the same village. The father's brother was one of the Hessian soldiers who fought
in the American Revolution and settled in the newly independent country after the war.
The education of Frederick Wehnes was acquired in the Rothenburg public school. When he was thirteen, he served
his apprenticeship in order to learn the butcher's trade in Rothenburg A. Fulda. At sixteen, well grounded in the
rudiments of his trade and possessed of an adventurous and ambitious spirit, the boy determined to try his fortunes
in the United States. He arrived in New York, in December, 1885, and settled on the east side on Fifty third Street.
His first employer in the new world was E. Baum, butcher, whose shop was on First Avenue and Fifty sixth Street.
After nearly a year there and a short period of activity in the pursuit of his trade, Mr. Wehnes displayed the
same independence of spirit as in coming to America and opened a shop of his own on First Avenue and Fifty fourth
Street in 1888. Success came to him there until he sold out in 1896 and moved to his new place in The Bronx, for
he anticipated the rapid growth of that section. He bought the property at No. 164 St. Ann's Avenue, belonging
to John Link, continuing there until 1924, when he sold out the butcher shop in order to give his attention to
other property he had acquired and buildings he had erected, at Nos. 614 and 616 St. Ann's Avenue. His realty office
is today situated in the latter building, of his own construction, and is very prosperous. Mr. Wehnes, prominent
in whatever movement he joins, was one of the organizers of the Butchers' Association of The Bronx and president
for two years. He belongs to The Bronx Real Estate Board and to Concord Union, No. 14, of the Steuben Society.
On October 30, 1908, in The Bronx Dutch Reformed Church, One Hundred and Fifty sixth Street and Elton Avenue, Frederick
Wehnes was married, by Rev. George Miller, to Katinka Stiehl, daughter of Tobias Stiehl, born in Hersfeld, Hesse-Nassau,
Germany, in 1851, who died in 1926. Children: 1. Eva Madeleine, born December 13, 1910. 2. Elizabeth Elinor, June
13, 1912. 3. Frieda Catherine, February 26, 1914. 4. Frederick, Jr., October 5, 1915. 5. Charles Henry, December
30, 1916. 6. Harold Lincoln, February 12, 1919.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium