Biography of Alfred J. Taylor
Bronx County, NY Biographies





ALFRED JAMES TAYLOR - With a new outlook upon The Bronx real estate field, and one of a very substantial character, Alfred James Taylor has established himself in the Williamsbridge section, in whose further development he participates upon the basis both of his practical experience in the real estate and insurance interests, and his personal investigation of realty locations and values. Well deserved success comes to Mr. Taylor, who has thus risen through many difficulties and by slow degrees to the attainment of his place in the business world. He is a son of Alfred Taylor, who was born in 1859 in New York City, and died in 1901, and of Mary Elizabeth (Kavanaugh) Taylor, who was born in 1862 on One Hundred and Fifty ninth Street, The Bronx, daughter of Patrick and Bridget Kavanaugh, natives of Dublin, Ireland.

Alfred James Taylor was born June 11, 1895, in the Yorkville section of New York City; and with the removal of his parents to The Bronx, he attended Public School No. 36 on Castle Hill, in the Unionport section. He then went to work, as the death of his father left his mother dependent upon whatever he might be able to earn; yet he was able to take the commercial law course at the night session of Morris High School. Mr. Taylor began to work at four dollars a week for the New York Title Insurance Company, of No. 203 Montague Street, Brooklyn, and with his car fare amounting to one dollar and twenty cents, he was able to give his mother but two dollars and eighty cents a week. Nevertheless, he continued in that employ from 1909 to 1914, and with his pay raised, and while he was doing work that had been performed by three men, he lost his position, and for three months was out of a job. He then went to work in the law office of Kadel, Van Kirk & Kennedy, No. 370 East One Hundred and Forty ninth Street, and by serving summonses evenings for the firm, and doing such extra work, he was able to increase his earnings to ten dollars weekly. He so continued until 1917, when he secured a position with Nehring Brothers, one of the leading realtors of Washington Heights, New York, at the corner of One Hundred and Eighty second Street and St. Nicholas Avenue, with whom he served his apprenticeship in the real estate business; and it was but a short time before he was given charge as a section manager, of many apartment buildings operated by this firm. He so continued up to December 31, 1925, when he decided to establish himself in real estate activities, selecting the Williamsbridge section of The Bronx as offering the best opportunities for real estate development. With its location on the subway, it appeared to Mr. Taylor that this section has many advantages over others in The Bronx, as there is much vacant land to be filled and built up. There he has opened his offices at No. 4214 White Plains Avenue.

Fraternally, Mr. Taylor is affiliated with Aquinas Council, No. 857, Knights of Columbus, and with the Holy Name Society of The Bronx; and he is a member of the Chippewa Democratic Club, the James Reynolds Club, and the Senator Athletic Club, all of The Bronx.

From:
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927


Privacy Policy for OnlineBiographies

NAVIGATION
Bronx County, NY
Biographies

Online
Biographies

New York
Histories

New York
Biographies

Maine
Histories

Pennsylvania
Histories

Pennsylvania
Biographies

For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium