LOUIS STILLMAN, who has been in the commercial and electric sign business in The Bronx since 1920 and is responsible
for many of the largest and cleverest signs in the business district of that borough, is a son of Elias and Mary
Stillman, both living, the father being in the machine business in New York City. The Stilimans have been Americans
for many generations.
Louis Stillman was born in New York City, May 12, 1896, and attended Public Schools Nos. 2 and 62 in Manhattan.
He has been engaged in the sign business during all his commercial career, and went into the business for himself
in The Bronx about 1920, moving some three years later into his present location on One Hundred and Forty ninth
Street. Among his most noteworthy signs are those for Batlin & Horowitz, for Lawson Pianos, the Sibley Pitman
Electric Corporation, and the electric cross for the Holy Trinity Church. He is a member of The Bronx Board of
Mr. Stillman married, in New York City, on December 11, 1923, Ernestine Freyhan, daughter of John A. and Carrie
Freehand, both living in New York City.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium