CLARENCE SHURAEL SHUMWAY - Though a native of Connecticut and in recent years a resident of New Rochelle, Westchester
County, New York, the last two decades of Mr. Shuniway's business activities have been devoted to the development
and building up of large areas of The Bronx. He was born in Hartford, Connecticut, September 26, 1864, a son of
Clark N. and Marina P. (Freeman) Shumway, the father a shoe dealer in Hartford, the mother a member of an old New
England family, the first American ancestor of which, Edmund Freeman, originally settled on Cape Cod.
Clarence Shubael Shumway was educated in the public schools of his native city, and started in to learn the business
of steam engineering and general construction at the age of eighteen. He came to The Bronx in 1906 and had charge
of the construction work for the corporation which did much of the building and development of some of the largest
Bronx estate holdings, such as the Watson, Hoe and Simpson estates. Through this work he was connected with the
erection of the A-Re Co Building, now owned by Vincent Astor; The Bronx Theatre, on East One Hundred and Fiftieth
Street and Melrose Avenue; Chester Hall; A-Re Co Court, and many other apartment houses. He was among the first
to build high class two family houses on Faile Street, the operation embracing the erection of forty two such dwellings.
During the World War he was very active in the various Liberty Loan drives and in all other patriotic movements,
and, indeed, has always been deeply interested in all civic affairs. His various society affiliations are all with
New Rochelle organizations and he is the president of the New Rochelle Humane Society, vice president of the Men's
Club, and a member of the Money Hounds of New Rochelle. He is also a member of St. John's Lodge, Free and Accepted
Masons; Washington Commandery, Knights Templar, both of Hartford; Royal Arcanum; and a thirty second degree Mason.
His chief outside interest is in music and he has been for many years the director of the New Rochelle Music Club,
a choral organization of sixty mixed voices, which is highly esteemed in local musical circles and which rendered
valuable services as a community chorus during the World War. During his life in Hartford he was a member of the
First Baptist Church, but since his residence in New Rochelle he has been an attendant of the First Presbyterian
Mr. Shumway was married (first), at Hartford, Connecticut, in 1894, to Jessie Wheeler, daughter of James K. Wheeler;
(second) at Hartford, Connecticut, in 1901, to Belle M. Miller, daughter of Charles G. Miller. From his first marriage
he had one daughter, Frances M., now Mrs. Henry Prentiss Christian. The family home is at No. 99 Laurel Place,
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium