SAMUEL SHAPIRO - Beginning as a house painter in the employ of some one else, it did not take Mr. Shapiro very
many years to establish his own business. Its continuous growth gradually led him into wider fields of endeavor,
until today he is considered a very important factor in building and real estate circles in The Bronx. He was born
July 10, 1882, in Kovno, then a city in the Russian province of Lithuania, now the capital of the Republic of Lithuania,
a son of Bernard and Pauline (Jaspin), Shapiro, his father being a merchant.
Samuel Shapiro attended the local district school of his native city. At the age of seventeen he came to the United
States, settled in New York City and immediately went to work as a painter. After three years he established his
own business as a painting and decorating contractor, continuing in this business for fifteen years. Very soon
after going in business for himself, he branched out into the building field whenever and wherever an opportunity
presented itself. Successful from the very beginning, his operations gradually became larger and larger, until
he found it necessary to sell out his painting and decorating business in order to be able to devote his entire
time and undivided attention to his building and real estate interests. At that time he built and bought several
apartment houses in various parts of New York City. In 1920 he moved his business to The Bronx where he had gradually
concentrated his operations and where he had built and bought a number of large apartment houses, establishing
headquarters at No. 563 East Tremont Avenue.
In politics he is a supporter of the Democratic party and as such is a member of the North End Democratic Club.
His religious affiliations are with the Concourse Center of Israel, being a member of its board of directors. He
is also a member of Marshall Lodge, No. 848, Free and Accepted Masons, Adler's Young Men's Independent Association
No. 1, Grand Street Boys' Association, Inc., and Unity Club.
Mr. Shapiro was married in Manhattan, October 25, 1903, to Ida Jaspin of New York City, daughter of Harris and
Gertrude Jaspin. Mr. and Mrs. Shapiro are the parents of two children: I. Dorothy, born October 25, 1909. 2. George
Leonard, born November 11, 1915. The family home is at No. 1950 Andrews Avenue.
The Bronx and its people
A History 1609-1927
Board of Editors: James L. Wells,
Louis F. Haffen
Josiah A. Briggs.
Historian: Benedict Fitspatrick
Publisher: The Lewis Historical Publishing Co., Inc.
New York 1927
Bronx County, NY
For all your genealogy needs visit Linkpendium